Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Portals- Mog or Volvo ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Apr 13, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I dont know the differences that may or may not matter. I found lots on mogs but nothing on volvo portals, anyone know? Im wondering because they are a tad cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The volvo's are slightly weaker than the mog 404 portals. I see consistant breakage at the Cal-Rocs comps of the 404 portals since the pot metal the portal housings are made from break from the side loading caused by the helical cut gears. This is with 40" tires or so. If you want to run 44's or bigger with no breakage you may want to look into some mog 406, 416, or U1300 portals. There pricey but they are ultimate beef. There rated quite a bit stronger than 2.5 ton rockwells as well and the portal gears are straight cut not helical so the side loading is not there. I have a set of 416's for the buggy and I can't get over how massive everything is in them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

From just a parts availability standpoint it seems that mog stuff is much easier to find on this side of the big pond. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The volvo's are slightly weaker than the mog 404 portals. I see consistant breakage at the Cal-Rocs comps of the 404 portals since the pot metal the portal housings are made from break from the side loading caused by the helical cut gears. This is with 40" tires or so. If you want to run 44's or bigger with no breakage you may want to look into some mog 406, 416, or U1300 portals. There pricey but they are ultimate beef. There rated quite a bit stronger than 2.5 ton rockwells as well and the portal gears are straight cut not helical so the side loading is not there. I have a set of 416's for the buggy and I can't get over how massive everything is in them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wont finding parts for it be a bastard though? If they're stronger than rockwells... I like them alot /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

Hey willyswanter do you have any pics of your 416's?
    Thanks
    -Stew