Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ported vacumm switch...Which one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just got done swapping the truggy motor into the 'Burb, and while tightening the thermostat housing bolt, my buddy broke the ported vacuum switch right off the manifold. :doah: It sends vacuum to the EGR valve telling it to open at a given temp.

So I'm needing a new one. Went to Napa to get it, and find that are two different "colors". Purple and green. Green opens at 180*, purple at 130*. The one that my buddy broke was the purple 130* one. Now I'm assuming this is the correct one, but for safteys sake and the fact that the po could have done anything....I want to confirm this. Does anyone know for sure? Dorian maybe? He seems to know alot of obscure stuff like this. I gotta get it all set-up and ready for a smog test. I gotta have everything perfect as I live in good old Kalifornia. :crazy:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, no help from me on this one. I think this is going to be along the lines of the emissions diagram on the core support. There is no other reference material other than that sticker I am aware of. The parts manual MIGHT have the different ones listed, perhaps based on engine RPO, I'd have to look.

Probably the reason for the color coding.

If it passed emissions/ran fine before with the now broken piece, I would replace it with the same no question.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Unfortuneatley the truck doesn't have diagram anymore. The sticker with the timing/idle speeds etc is there but nothing else. I kinda figured I'd just get the same one as was in there, and see what happens. To bad the one I need is $10 more than the one I don't need.