Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

porting heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Jun 22, 2002.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

does anyone know of a good machine shop that will port my new heads for a good price in Dallas? and how much does it usually cost to port heads?

phill

2. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

dont know about where, but as far as price goes, it depends on how much work you really want. could range from about $250 for a small "pocket port" to $800+ for race porting and 5 angle valve job. a lot of variables

3. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

It really depende. I got really lucky and got mine ported for free. The guy who did mine was teaching a class at a highschool and used these as examples.

Try to get hooked up with something like that.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you have a dremel,the right bits and a good book you can do it yourself, just put some old valves in the heads so you don't destroy the heads when you slip. Just use light pressure, you want to smooth and polish, not get bigger chambers, that would lower compression.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just do it yourself. The only thing you could really do to screw it up is nick the valve seats. I have ported 2 sets of heads (one aluminum and one iron) and it wasn't that hard...just time consuming.The iron heads are better to start on because it is harder to remove too much material.
    I already had a compressor so I just bought a die grinder from home depot (if you are going to buy one make sure it is front exhaust) and a porting kit from PAW. I think I payed under $60 for all the stuff. If you don't have anyone around that has done it befor it would be a good idea to buy a book like David Visard's "Small Blocks on a Budget" which has I chapter devoted to porting different types of heads.