Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Portland people...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Where would be a good place near the upcoming Portland Swap Meet to park a 25' Motorhome with a 22' trailer and stay the whole weekend? Do they allow any camping nearby?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you can park it at my pad, i won't charge all that much. :grin:

j

3. mountainexplorer

Thanks for the offer. :D

I'd like to find out if they have designated spots right near the grounds, so I could just stay parked and not worry about driving in and out of the area every day.

Who knows alot about the layout? There's the main swap meet and then is there another one at the racetrack too?

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe you can camp on the south west side of the expo center - you just have to get there early enough to reserve a spot (like now)

You could call the swap meet people and ask - or try some local businesses nearby and see if they would let you park there for a small fee

5. cheyenne10

cheyenne10 Registered Member

my experience

I have gone for 12+ years. Each year layout is a little different. Yes I beleive this year again they will have 2 swap meets. The entrances are almost 1 mile apart. If similar to past they may have overnight parking at PIR (race track). They will be parking daily cars in part of PIR also and using school bus shuttles up to Expo center swap. They also have had overnight and parking across I-5 at dog track (again for fee). Some private property businesses have some rented space too. The school buses run a circuit from Expo center round to dog track, back to PIR and back to Expo center. (shuttle is free but crowded and can take a while). If you have car access and can drive in each morning you can camp away from this zoo also. If you get camping spot at PIR it could be convienient. They sell out of Expo center spaces fast each winter, not sure about PIR. Camp spots might already be full. Find the Expo swap phone number and check with them to start with. I still get overwhelmed each year as nothing seems to stay the same for me. I have done lots of walking and carrying days buys in a backpack.

Good luck and enjoy.

6. mountainexplorer

We got lucky last year. I found out about the swap meet a week before. Within two hours of finding out, I had secured us half a vendor spot for us to hang out at. (It's nice to know people :D ) However, I don't think I'll be so lucky this year. I don't have anything I want to hassle with selling down there, and I don't think I know anyone this year who has a vendor spot... but it was nice last year having the usage of the spot to bring stuff I bought to and drop it off.

I'd like to be able to park the motorhome and trailer at PIR. Then, I'm going to have some other friends drive down my Crew Cab for transportation so the motorhome stays parked all weekend but we can still be mobile, and can lock stuff up in the truck.

7. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

You have until March 19th to get your booth app in for the PIR swap meet (Expo and PIR are ran by different groups). There is parking for the RV's at PIR for vendors just gotta ask them.