Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poser pics after my winter break mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Jan 19, 2007.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I spent about 2 weeks over Christmas break working on my junk. The laundry list includes:
    1. Zero-rates front and rear (front 1.5" forward, rear 1.5" back)
    2. lengthened driveshafts (went to 1350's in the rear)
    3. hydraulic assist with pump mods (got a good deal on a WTO set-up for a 70's truck so I converted my 86 over [new lines and bastardized pump])
    4. new perches front and rear (rear to set pinion angle [11 deg of operation on both joints]/ front was kind of last minute when I bent the hell out of the stock perch and had to make one out of scrap square tube with a chop saw and a torch...ugly but should be pretty strong)
    5. Moved front shackle hangers (still running stock length 6" lift springs/ new shackles are 3/8" plate, 6.75" hole to hole)
    6. recentered H1's with plastic inserts (actually did this a few months ago but just now got around to taking pics)
    7. And last but not least (maybe even my favorite of the list :wink1: )....... installed a bicycle bottle holder on the door. Not very technical but it sure is great having a cup holder now. The pic that shows it also shows the door trim pieces I made out of 10 ga stainless to get rid of the darn door straps and covers that always pop off.
    I've still got a ways to go (i.e. castor's still not quite right [about 9 deg pos] but hyd assist is taking care of that for now and my "temporary" brake line fix is still there from a couple of years ago when I lifted it), but it's getting there. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Anyway, here are the pics (in no particular order, but ya'll are smart...you know what your looking at). There's a bunch, if you want to see anything in particular let me know (I enjoyed playing with the girlfriend's new camera).

truckjan07 015.jpg

truckjan07 017.jpg

truckjan07 018.jpg

truckjan07 019.jpg

truckjan07 050.jpg

2. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

even more

truckjan07 054.jpg

truckjan07 055.jpg

truckjan07 057.jpg

truckjan07 012.jpg

truckjan07 022.jpg

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looks great!

6. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is a fiiiiiine lookin truck man. mighty fine.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sweet!! lovin the 70 too!!! one thing i hate about it... is the flares.... lol they're just too dern sexy for fender flares!!

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Great looking truck. I wish mine was purdy like yours;)

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

im tellin ya, makes me jealous

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Looking good! :thumb:

I like the Redneck Ram gear box stickers. :)

11. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliments guys, she's a nice truck but I can assure you the pictures hide some flaws (but I can remember a time when the paint actually did look that good :doah: ). A few questions: How big of a deal is it to leave the holes open from where the hanger used to be? Has anybody cracked a frame there following movement of the hanger? How many of you have beat the piss out of your truck with them open and had no problems? Also where I moved the passenger side hanger the fuel lines kind of rest against it. I tried to bend 'em enough to stay off it, but didn't have very good luck. Should I worry about it?

Thanks

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Very nice, very clean set :waytogo: :bow: !!

13. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah thats a sweet rig but I dont really care for the flares either.

14. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Not a huge fan of the flares myself. Bought them several years ago to help cover up my first dent (fell into a rut back when she was on 35's) which they did very well. The dent is kind of a non-issue now though, but my fenders are full of tiny screw holes so the flares stay. Got the cut-outs so I could go to a bigger tire, then the tires kept getting bigger so the cut-out wasn't enough. Now quite a bit of the cut-out flare is cut-out (and a good portion of the inner fender ;) ) I actually kind of like the look, but they can be in the way at times. Eventually I may cut-out around the periphery of them, remove the inners, tub the bed, and get a doubler and some 44's, but that's a long way off (I've still got 3.5 years of vet school left and by the end I'll have a **** pile of student loans to pay off). Oh well, you live and you learn.

15. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have dual exhaust? If not, how did you do the cross-over pipe?

16. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

two random questions...

what happens to the centering pin with this?
    [​IMG]

Does it run through everything back down to the axle tube?

Oh and secondly is about the fender flares...I've always been a fan of the flare look but haven't always been able to find some...are those the bushwackers and if so do they make year specific or did you just order some and cut the fenders to fit the arc of the flares? Ok, last question...I've heard that sometimes the flares don't actually give you that much extra room as they mostly add width...is that the case with your's? Thanks!

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Great looking truck, and mods. I did notice the rear shackle angle isn't the best. If you have not planned to already, you should look into getting some longer shackles for the rear.

Looks great, though. :waytogo:

18. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I have dual exhaust, so I'm not much help here.

I'll attach a paint picture that hopefully explains it. The only crappy part is that the degree shim covers the head of the 3/8" bolt (could have fixed that by drilling a 3/4" hole though). I was running short on time and decent 3/4" bits at the time though so I just put the zero-rate on the leaf pack perpendicular to the long axis, then put the deg shim on the zero rate with the shortened center pin, tightened everything up, then smacked the zero rate with a shop hammer a few times to make it parallel to the spring.

They are bushwackers, and they are specific our trucks. I believe I just got them from summit racing, just tell them what model truck you have. They've got pictures of them on the bushwacker site also (or at least they used to). Mine are cut up quite a bit though, so new ones won't look like mine. Also, their customer service seems to be decent. I cracked one once and they sent me a brand new one at no charge and didn't even want the old one. I've still got the new one in the loft at the barn because I've still got the cracked one on the truck, it's not that obvious and doesn't cause any problems, so I'll just save my extra for when I actually need it.

In un-chopped-up form, they remove about 1" on both sides of the front (i.e. 2" larger opening) and 2" on both sides of the rear (i.e. 4" larger opening) and the top of the fender opening remains unchanged (they actually screw in [in part] to the underside of the fender lip). I have removed considerably more however.

Yeah, that's the angle (or lack there of :( ) I ended up with with the factory shackle and the ORD flip. I'll probably remedy it with some 56's and some DIY shackles one of these days. Not sure if I'll have to swap sides with the ORD flips or not though :dunno: . Only one way to find out for sure.

Hope this helps.

zeroratecartoon.JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  19. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

I LOVE the truck, looks totally GREAT man...keep up the good work!
    I can relate to the water bottle holders being one of your favorite mods, we added a pair of them in the Suburban, mounted ours on the center consol, and absolutly LOVE them....we use the large bike water bottles in (ours no spill lids!) and most gas stations don't charge us to fill them up with pop either! Or if they do, it is the refill price.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: We plan on adding 3 more of them soom, in the back seat area, one on the back of the center consol, and one on each door, for the kids.

20. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner