Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Posi and Limited Slip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Sep 27, 2001.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Plain and simple, what are the differences between posi and limited slip?

Thanks
    "Next time you see your K5, give it a big hug."

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

limited slip is the generic term.. posi(traction) is GM's name for it..

posi = limited slip = positraction = posi = limited slip :)

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Posi is a GM trademark for a limited slip. Kinda like Kleenex

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i have a true posi in my hot rod and a limited in my k5. there was a difference years ago. if you raise the rear of your car and rotate the wheel by hand both tires rotate in the same direction with NO difference or slip. that is a true posi or what they call a "locked" rearend today.a limited is when you rotate a wheel and it rotates 1\2 a turn and then the otherside starts to rotate in the same direction. hence the term limited slip. the rear in my hot rod is a 12 bolt factory posi unit out of a old nova. so yes there was a difference but over the years the terms just got mixed together. and for safety reasons GM only continued making the limited rears. a true posi rear or a locked rear in the snow and on ice and going around corners is somewhat dangerous.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

6. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

What are the road manners of a limited slip like an Auburn? And how well off-road?

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Road manners are fine with an auburn. I have an aurburn pro in my Firebird. The only thing that I have noticed is when you get sideways, it is harder to turn out of it. Probably not a problem in a blazer though. I also hear that posi or limited slips dont work well with tires over 33"s. They will work ok in mud or sand but thats about it. They dont work on rocks or off camber situations.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

J.R. where do you get this info?

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

9. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

What would be a good recomendation for a traction device that has good road manners but would also be good for off-camber situation with 38" tires? (excluding a ARB)

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Go with a mini spool. Being that tall I would not want the locker "weave." Your tires will wear the same either way.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. J.R.

J.R. Guest

years of expierence and i used to wrench on cars at a GM dearlership.if you have the chance to look at an old camaro or chevelle or nova that has a posi in it check it out.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There might be newer or older versions of it, but Positraction is still the GM trademark for a limited slip differential. There are many kinds of limited slips, all work differently, and if GM installs it, they call it Posi regardless.

I often laugh when people say that their Ford or Dodge or Jeep or Toyota has Positraction.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not busting your chops, as you are right for the first part, but GM stopped using the "posi-traction" name at least on the diff tags, and went to "limited slip" Like you said, one and the same, the only diff is between the Auburn or Eaton posi/limited slip diffs. Ones rebuildable, ones not.

Gov-lock is an entirely different animal than either, (which is what came in the later trucks) and its obvious when you look at one.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Not sure I understand the difference, between the two, could you please post part numbers for the two different
    GM Limited slip/possi ?

15. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Limited slip and posi are the same thing

Doug Krebs

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They might have stopped calling it Positraction, but they've owned the trademark at least three times as long as I've been alive. Whether or not they still use the name today is not important. Positraction = the GM trademark for limited slip. It's the same thing.

Not trying to be a pain, just fact.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles