Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Posi, Detroit Locker or Air Locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30Blazer, Sep 25, 2005.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know, I know if money was no option then Air Locker would be the obvious choice. But it is an issue. Here is the deal. I just went to 35's with my truck and its 700R4. I have 3.42 gears in the GM 10 bolts and will be going up to 4.10's shortly. I had decided that I wanted to go with Posi front and rear after having my Gov Lock crap out on me on some hill climbs.

After talking to some friends, they are all trying to convince me to just throw a Detroit Locker in the back and forget it. I like the extra capability the locker gives you, but also don't want to sacrifice the driveability. I use this truck exclusively in the rain, and my wife also drives it occasionally. When I force her! Ha AH :laugh:

Question, how much price difference am I talking with going to an Air Locker vs a posi or lockers? How is the driveability with a full time locker, will I chew up tires, or am I just being paranoid?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Your being paranoid. The air locker could cost you $300-$400 more. The detroit would be my choice. I ran one for years in my daily driver 81 Blazer. You know its there but after a little bit you get used to it. Tires may wear quicker, but they were pretty even since I make left and right turns. Tho with M/T tires I didnt expect 50,000 miles out of 'em. Your ok unless you really get on it from a stop when making a turn, then you hear the tire chirp. Also when accelerating out of a turn it will lock and you'll have to turn a little sharper. You can usually "FEEL" it lock and unlock with the throttle. Nothing made it seem dangerous or scary and it definately DID NOT make me want to NOT drive it on the street. Just be careful with the 10 bolts and the stupid pedal!! :wink1:

3. K30Blazer

werd. Thanks

4. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

smoother than expected

That's just about what I have experienced with my Detroit.Unless I'm making a very sharp(like turning into a parking lot or out of one or maybe a parking space)turn and get on the gas a bit I just don't notice it much.Sometimes if you pull out and stomp it before you are straight it'll let you know it's there but nothing severe.Just be pointed where you want to go when you lay that foot down. :D

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have detroits in the back of 2 of my trucks (truggy and K5) and a G80 in the back of my tow rig. And I've had them in cars and trucks of various sorts over the last 20+ years.

Putting a Detroit in the back is really little different than putting on a lift, bigger tires, or any other "change" to a vehicle. It requires a change in driving habits and awareness, but it is not as huge a deal as many make it out to be.

The question is, does this "change" take you in the right direction when considering loss/benefit compromises. Just like adding big tires and/or lift to a tow rig probably is not a great idea since it hurts towing performance, adding a rear locker to a truck that routinely sees ice and rarely goes off road (to the extent a locker is needed) is also probalby not a good idea.

IMO, about the only significant negative to adding a detroit to the rear (as long as you don't start snapping axles) would be driving on ice, particularly combined with an inexperienced driver not used to dealing with (or aware of) the implications.

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Well, living in CO and looking at getting a detroit I have to ask-

What do they do that's so bad on Ice?

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well, for one if it locks up under power in a turn your ass end will be in the front of you :eek1: But then again you could just power slide around corners with a locked rear in the ice :D

8. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ever done a burnout with a "Posi" or locker rear??!! :woot:

The whole back-end will slide to the side... Usually slowly n is kinda cool.

Well on ice it can kinda kick the rear end out, sometimes fast, if your not carefull. Usually with an "open" rear one tire will spin and one doesnt so you still face the direction you want to go.

Just be careful and know what yer doin. Be aware of the environment. I havent had a really bad or scary incident cuz I knew what I was getting into.

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Ah. Makes sense. I'm still gonna go with a detroit. :D

10. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

going with the detroit

Right on-you will not regret it. :D

11. K30Blazer

yea, I decided that a detroit was the way to go for me. Went out with my buddy and his locked 12 bolt and saw the light today. He put it to me this way. For the money I could save over the airlocker I can get new tires when needed. A fat burnout sealed the deal. :D