Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

posi info HEEELLLLPPP!!??!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dustyk5, Sep 7, 2004.

1. dustyk5

dustyk5 Registered Member

I have had the untimely problem of a clutch disc in the rear (govlok?) posi coming apart.The ring and pinion are still good,and I don't want to ruin these. It is the factory unit and now I don't know what to do.Let me preface this with the fact I am broke,so I need the least expensive fix here.Can I fix the posi that is in there?Can I remove it completely?I don't care if it is then an open diff.I just need it fixed FAST!Can I buy a different posi unit to put in there?and lastly Can a guy with moderate mechanical skills acomplish any of these?I am not a complete hack,but also not a master tech.Thank you all for any help.I REALLY need it.

2. dustyk5

dustyk5 Registered Member

please,any info??

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

If you get a new posi from the junkyard it should just bolt right in. You would need to remove it and the ring gear. Then when you put back togeather just check the pattern. But gears with lots of miles on them dont pattern well. You may also be able to just switch the cluches and spider gears then you would not need to move the ring gear at all. Good luck!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If this is the 10 bolt, unless you have some rare gear ratio, just find another setup and buy it complete.

You should be able to get a "common" ratio 10 bolt (2.73/3.08/3.42) for about $100, and it is NOT worth trying to screw around "rebuilding" a rear axle for that kind of money. Besides, you will likely have an extremely hard time finding just the carrier...any wrecking yard I know will not seperate a good setup like that.

Just the pinion and side gears for one of those axles is $75 or so, I guarantee if you need to replace other pieces, you'll exceed $100 easily.

Depending on what year rear you have, you can use the posi unit out of a 10 bolt (8.5") from a car, but any time you mess with that sort of stuff, you are dealing with a new crush sleeve, etc., and that again, is more money.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can just replace the carrier, and not worry about the pattern or anyhting.
    Check te backlash and pattern before you pull it out. Change the ring gear, and bearings, put it back, check the pattern and backlash, it should be all goo /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifd!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've swapped carriers before on a 7.5" and an 8.5". (10 bolt) 7.5 worked like a charm, the 8.5 howled so loudly you couldn't drive the car.

If the pinion depth isn't right, you're screwed. You can try swapping carriers only, but using a complete assembly is going to be the only guaranteed fix.

IMO there are too many variables to correct gear setup to be able to swap a carrier from one axle to another and have consistent results.