Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

posi/ locking diffs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unclezeke, Sep 1, 2001.

1. unclezeke

unclezeke Registered Member

i'm the proud owner of a 77chev 4x4. i like offroading but am tired of getting stuck. i want to turn it into a true mud machine by putting in posi gears or lockers front and rear. i am interested in any thoughts, recommendations, or info on gears that would be compatable with what i have. in the back is a 3.08 chev 12- bolt and up front is a dana44. i would also like to know about lockers. how do they work and would they give similar results as posi, where could i get them? how much? etc. any info you guys could spare would be greatly appreciated.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would go with Power Trax Lock rites front and rear. The are lockers that go in place of you stock spider gears. If you use these you do not have to reset the back lash. I have one in the front of my Jimmy and love it. The Powertrax Lock rites are about 300 bucks a piece. Much less than posis, and work better. With a locker both wheels will tuen even if the other one is off the ground. Dollar for dollar powertrax is the way to go. Most 4x4 shops carry them or you can get them through Summit.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Detroit True Trac limited slip upfront wont adffect steering. Get a Auto locker in the rear and you will almost never be stuck =P

87 k5, 6in, 35" BFG muds.
    Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well since the 3.08's kinda are weak gears, you might as well regear and get whatever you want IMO. Most guys run detriots in the rear and then up front is kinda a crap shoot. It really depends on where you live and how you use your truck. Being mine is my daily driver and we get snow a detriot out back would suck canal water in the winter and of course as soon as you put a locker or posi up front you can't turn for beans, so my logical route is to go ARB air lockers... then I'll have compressed air on my rig too [​IMG]. Not sure if I will go both ARB or just an ARB front and an Eaton posi or Powertrax out back...? Posi's have been ok INO in the snow

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Has anyone heard if ARB is going to be putting something out for the 14FF in the near future? I'd like to go this route too, if they come out with the product. Seems like there would be enough demand.

Smitty

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Agreed DesertDueler, Lock Rights are the way to go.

National Tire and Wheel has them about 250 each, with free shipping.
    You should also get the Powertrax crosspins, about 15 each. They are a lot harder than the stock pins. A LOT.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Like i said before A true track limited slip dif won't affect stering. So you can get that up front.
    If your gunna reaplce gears go to
    www.4wheelparts.com
    click on package deals and go to gear locker package.
    You can get any gear of choice up to 4.57 and it comes w/ front and rear gears, Front limited slip detroit true trac and rear detroit auot locker all for the nice price of 1300 or so. Its all a package so go w/ some 4.57 gears and youll be set!

87 k5, 6in, 35" BFG muds.
    Future Mods: KNfilter, Flowmaster Force2 Catback, change the 5.5 blocks and .5 addaleafs to 6in springs.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would assume they are. Considering it would probably sell well. I know solowookie talked to them about it and I believe they said it would be within the next year, but maybe want to call up ARB and ask em.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>