Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Posi or Locker for Front, Easy, it's only a 10 Bolt.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lsak5, Mar 31, 2002.

1. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Posi or Locker for Front, Easy, it\'s only a 10 Bolt.

Ok, now that things are finally coming together on my rig. My front 10 bolt has an open diff in it. I kinda like it that way to help keep from snapping an axle or grenading a u joint, happened once already. But I wondering whether a posi or limited slip in the front would give the the traction I want w/o the increased chance of popping the front axle or joint. I'm pretty sure I don't want a true locker, but interested in thoughts on the posi units.

Thanks, Luke

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Posi or Locker for Front, Easy, it\'s only a 10 Bolt.

Posis dont work well in the front since you get torque steer. A locker will work fine if you take it easy. I run a lock right in the front of the Jimmy with 35s. I know a guy with a jeep wrangler that has a stock front axle which is a dana 30 (junk) and he runs a lock right and 35s. He has only broken one axle.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Can you explain the torque steer a little more? I am curious as to what it is. I probably know, but haven't heard it by that name. I plan on reuseing the Auburn in my rear 10 bolt in my front when the 14bff goes in. I figured I might as well since it is already paid for, and it would be better then having an open diff in the front. Thanks

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm gonna weld mine. That way I'm not out the $300+ for a locker when I finally do decide to upgrade.

5. DesertDueler

Torque steer is the same thing front wheel drive cars have like Hondas. When you give it gas it pulls one way, normally right. That is because one axle is longer than the other. Well since the pumkin is offcentered on our front axles it acts the same way. You can really tell when the front is locked and you are driving on hard dirt. It pulls really bad. Well since it is pulling one way is makes the posi disengage. The posi will work in mud okay since you dont really have traction, so it spins both tires, untill on gets on hard dirt and one is in mud. The one in the mud spins. In rockcrawling a posi almost never works since you are pulling a wheel off the ground alot, and the one in the air spins like an open rear end. Posi's work good on the street, flat dirt, and mud, but thats about it.

6. Hossbaby50

I figure I will have to get used to my truck pulling a little bit with the 14bff welded. So i guess it is not big deal. Thanks for the info.

7. DesertDueler

It wont pull with the rear welded Harley, since the rear axles are almost the same length, and its in the rear so its pushing the truck, not pulling it.

8. Hossbaby50

True, but I ahve heard from some people that after they welded and or locked the rear it pulls a little bit. Just what i have heard though.

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

See who else replies, but I know some guys on the list have used a Detriot Tru trac up front and really like it... do a search because there was a post may 3 or 4 months back. Welded or locked up front is a pia to steer w/out a hydralic setup IMO. I still think an ARB or a electronic/manual locker setup that you can turn on and off is the way to go... spendy, but really nice for 1/2 ton axles so you can turn them to umlocked when you have to turn real sharp or when you don't need them. Locked up front 1/2 axles love to eat them u-jts.../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have had an ARB in my front 10 bolt for over a year and a half now, with not even a broken u-joint! It's all in how you drive! And of course, with the ARB, you get to turn it off when it's not needed, which really cuts down on possible breakage (turns for example). If you're looking for real traction, skip the limited slips (or limited grips as I call them!), and go with a locker. Just always remember that you have a 10 bolt up there and it needs to be treated with some care for its well being! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, not decided yet but if i could get the ARB for the front it would be great, to bad the wallet won't let me. I drive the Blaz like a madman so I think there's something to the whole on/off thing.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It definitely depends on how you drive the truck. A lot of times having a locker in the front will you let you easily climb over obstacles that without a front locker you would have to hit it harder and use more pedal....which leads to breakage.