Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Posi or open diff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4by4bygod, Jan 18, 2004.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi all!

Did all K5 4x4's come equipped with positraction rear ends, or were they open diffs? Is there a specific casting number I should look for on the unit to tell me what I have? I'm speaking of a 10 bolt, on my bone stock 87.

Thanks, Tom /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it was an option on these. if your truck has ac look on the front fender well for the rpo code list. if it is non ac look in the glove box. the G80 code is the one for a locking diff

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    it was an option on these. if your truck has ac look on the front fender well for the rpo code list. if it is non ac look in the glove box. the G80 code is the one for a locking diff

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have never seen a GM vehicle with the RPO's on the fenderwell. I have 2 K5's both with A/C(85',87') and the RPO's are in the glove box. And yes G80 is the code for a gov-lok. Also if it helps or not..GT4 and GU4 codes stand for 3.73 gears which are the most wanted gears for a stocker.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

RPO's in the gloveboxes changed somewhere in the 80's. My '83 was on the inner fender, somewhere around '85 I think all went to the glove box.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

On my 84 was it was on the fenderwell, too. Ever since I replaced the old rusted out fenderwells a few years back, the RPO tag has been sitting safely in a pile on my desk.....

6. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

My 84's is on the fender as well.
    John

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i got 4 79 ac,83 ac,83 nonac,85 nonac. the ac are on the fender well and the non are in the glove box, sooo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies.. I'll check in both places. Where in the fenderwell area should I look? ( dumb question, I know) I dug up the window sticker, and according to it, I have a 3.08 ratio. The number to the left of the option description is unreadable, unfortunately.

Thanks again for the help.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

85 and up are in the glovebox, my 86 has it there.. and the 86 parts truck that chevy4wd has is there.. his 84 is on the drivers inner fender.. near where your jack would be located..

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If its an 87, the options list should be in the glovebox. I would check there first. As for your other question, I guess it just depends. My brothers 79 K5 had open diffs, while mine had the gov lock. It just depends on how the dealer ordered your specific k5.
    -Harrison

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi All!

Well, There's no G80 code listed in the glovebox.. Thanx for letting me know where to look and what to look for.
    Tom. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif