Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

posi problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Apr 5, 2001.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my buddy at work has a 79 K5. the rear end acts like a posi (it chirps going around corners, mostly rights.). i couldn't guarantee it, but we think it is.
    this guys not a four-by fanatic, but he's a grease monkey from way back. he's identified most of the noises and quirks on the truck, but this stumps him, because he thinks it may be four wheel drive related.
    every now and again (two, three times a week) it seems to lock up, and chirp alot, or just squeal a tire, around the corner and then he hears a slight *pink* sound from the rear end.
    is this normal? should he panic?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. bherring

bherring Registered Member

I had a 12-bolt last year that I abused regularly and not long after I noticed it locking up similar to the way you described, the clutch packs ripped apart and got chewed up in the gears...needless to say, it wasn't pretty. Those layers of clutch material simply cannot stand up to big tires and a healthy motor. I suggest that your buddy pop that diff cover off and have a peek because he should be able to see deformation in the clutches (assuming a GM govloc) and try to do something about it before it all lets go.

81/350/350/208/D44/14B/6"/36"

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would have to suggest popping the diff cover. Find out if its posi or govlock. If gov lock, jack up both rear wheels off the ground, and ensure that they turn *opposite* directions when you spin a tire. If they don't, the gov lock has failed, and won't get any better.

If its normal posi/limited slip (big time difference, the gov lock carrier has all kinds of extra gears and weights in it) I'd suggest adding limited slip diff lube and see if that solves it. Not a bad idea to inspect the innards of the axle anyway.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Wheel bearing?

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer