Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

posi rear end vs regular

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jun 12, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

blew mine and have the chance of getting a posi put in...what are the pros and cons to putting it in...compared to my stock 10bolt....which is open if thats the right term

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for a posi there really isn't much of any downsides I can think of vs an open differential. But lockers can be a little fussy.

3. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Can make it hard to steer if it is set up tight.

4. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

a locker locks the rear axle and makes both wheels turn when on the gas no matter what. where a posi does make both wheels trun when on the gas but lets the axles "slip" when turning which gives you better road manners.

5. NEK5

just out of curiosity, what is 10 bolt 3.73 posi worth?

6. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

dont really know most junk yards sell them for around $200.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A lockright in an open axle is very roadworhty . A no-slip is even better as it has synchros . Posi's still slip , slip is bad in a wheeler :thumb:

8. Chevy305

agreed, a lockright is easy to install and is the same price you'd pay at a junk yard for a differential. Plus you don't have to relace any parts on the axel you have now. I recomend the lockright :)

9. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt Gov Lock Posi just self destructed after installing the 38" tires. it did not even make it 50 miles. I would stay away from the GM Posi if it is a Gov Lok. Get an Eaton Posi with the springs if you want a posi.

10. NEK5

but this is more of my DD...i dont plan on wheeling it alot, just a little here and there, maybe every few months

11. NEK5

how can you tell if its a gov lock???and i only have 33s so i dont think i`d run into the problem you did....

12. NEK5

wont a locker be even worse?...

if i`m going to be using my truck as my dd, and maybe wheel it once every few months, and plow with it in the winter...what is better for me...if i do the trade then i will no longer have the winch(which didnt really do me any good anyways(probably need dual batts and bigger alt.))

13. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

A Gov Loc will have a weight on a shaft in one of the openings on the differential. There is also a small cylindrical device next to the weight on a shaft that spins off the side gear. An eaton locker will have springs in between the side gears that creates the pressure on the clutches.

14. NEK5

ok...i think i`m gonna go with the posi then, i probably wont be wheeln her any more anyways...just gonna use it as my DD for now..then maybe get another DD...and i might think about wheelin again, but not until then...

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I went with an Eaton in the rear and an Auburn in the front.
    The Eaton is a very strong, rebuildable unit and you can get them set up with different spring pressures. I think 800PSI springs are the highest setup but you will probably get chatter during turns. I noticed a big difference after installing them in mine.

Now, for the hard core wheelers, the locker is the best. If you have one wheel off the ground with a posi you are going to transfer a lot of the load to the wheel thats off the ground as opposed to being full locked but a posi is a big improvement over the open carrier.

16. Chevy305

Yeah go for the posi unit that DirtyJim has. A posi has very good road manners and would be perfect for what you need it for. A locker can easily be used on the street, but can chatter a little bit in turns at low speed.

The PowerTrax Lockright is perfectly fine for use on the street. I have one and I DD my truck. I like how if you give it enough gas coming out of a turn you can chirp the tires as the thing locks again.

17. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

posi

jasper posi

posi.JPG

18. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

what is this lockright you speak of? or this no-slip? are these different than a locker?

19. Chevy305

The lockright and No-Slip are basically the same. They both replace the spider gears in an open diff carrier. The No-Slip has clutches in it so it is just smoother than the Lockright, but also almost doulbe the cost.
    This is the Lockright: It can be had much cheeper from other places.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PWT%2D1920%2DLR&N=305029+115&autoview=sku

[​IMG]

EDIT: Jeg's has it for $230
    And I recomend getting the hardened cross shaft so that it doesn't wear into it and could play in the rear end

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lockright and No-Slip ARE lockers . Bot will positively lock up the axles . They both work the exact same way , ones is just quieter .

They work by using the surface of the ground , and the center pin beween the shafts . When you apply power to the driveshaft and it starts turning the ring gear , the center pin wedges into the couplers of said locker pushing the couplers into the drivers ( side gears ) .

For turning , the tires on the ground are turning different speeds , and the locker is able to relax a little and let the teeth of the couplers and drivers overun each other . Producing a nice click noise in the Lockright and total quiet in the NoSlip .

Its really cool and cheap . Check it out by googling Lockright :thumb: