Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Posi rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aztec777, May 14, 2001.

1. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

I just swapped out my 12 bolt rear. I bought the diff with a factory Posi unit that needs a rebuild. I understand that this is an easy thing to do along with the installation. Can someone give me an idea of cost for the rebuild kit, where I can get one, and a quick install guide. Thanks.

Steve

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by aztec777 on 05/14/01 12:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Which possi is it ?
    Is it a Gov-Lock ?
    Is it a Eaton possi with four springs, if so I can help you, let us know which unit you what to rebuild.

4. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. Executioner, as far as I understand, it is a GM factory Posi unit out of a 79. The only numbers I find on it are H 17 I and on the other side of the housing is 4 1 in big numbers. Would a pic help in identification? The guy I got it from said the the only thing wrong with it was that one of the spider gear teeth were broken and he showed it to me. Can I just replace that spider gear or do I need a complete rebuild? Can I do this myself with common tools? Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

5. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

Please guys. A little help.

Steve

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm not big on Gov locks, but I do know my Ford Trac loc which is similar in design using the clutch packs. If one part inside needs to be replaced, go ahead and rebuild it if you can. Who knows how many miles are on it or how bad it's been abused. A rebuild now while it's out will save you down time later when your wheels stop turning.
    Sorry, though, don't know where you could get a rebuild kit.