Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

posi unit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Dec 5, 2003.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Are Eaton's decent or is Auburn better for a posi unit? There's a complete rebuild kit with an eaton posi and precision gears for about $600 on ebay. I need to do both front and rear on my 10 bolts. Otherwise, any good online stores for this kind of kit? Should I use something other than a posi in the front instead?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

IMO eaton were the best they made for reliability and such, but theres one or two aftermarket units that are supposed to be pretty good too, but im unsure which

good luck

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Are Eaton's decent or is Auburn better for a posi unit? There's a complete rebuild kit with an eaton posi and precision gears for about $600 on ebay. I need to do both front and rear on my 10 bolts. Otherwise, any good online stores for this kind of kit? Should I use something other than a posi in the front instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you re-gearing 10 bolts?

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Eaton posis are about the strongest carrier you can get for a posi unit. You can also get different spring/clutch packs to set the pressure. The highest it can go is 800psi but have heard of some chatter with that setting. Normal setup is 400psi.

An Auburn is non-rebuildable but is good for the front.
    I have a Eaton in the rear and Auburn in front on mine until later when I go 14FF in rear and get a locker.

The only downside to posis is if one tire is in the air, it will tend to apply most of the torque to the loose wheel aand not the wheel that is on the ground. You can work with this by using brake pressure to transfer torque back over. Hard to do if you have a stick.

Lockers are the best for ultimate traction but I decided on posis first with the 10B.

Might try Toms Differentials Hes hard to beat on prices. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I just read on "Tom's" website that they have a tuned Eaton Posi where they take the spring pack out to minimize chatter and clutch wear. I have to assume that this unit would not be ideal for a 4X4, my understanding is that you want high spring load. Is that correct?

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah Eaton all the way. The auburns arent that good because they use cones instead of clutches, which eat up the case. I know there is an upgrade, which is a 22 clutch pack you put in, and use the stock springs, or you can put in the 800 pound springs, which would make it really tight.

7. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the thoughts. Very helpful. I'll go with the eaton's. 4:56's if I go 35" tires good? I currently have worn 33's and it's a dog with what I believe are 3:73 gears.

My reason for going 10 bolt, even though I would rather go D60 and 14BFF: I'm keeping 10 bolt because I have 6 chevy's in the family right now, 3 need work, restoring a 67 camaro, have a boat, 4 ATC's, a house, 2 kids with one more on the way, wheel this daily driver k5 with my kids about 5 times a year, and don't want to mess with 14bff and d60 modifications. Easier to rebuild what I got in a weekend and be done with it. But yeah, I would rather go with a front D60 with crossover steering, and a 14BFF rear.

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Sweet.