Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Position of pitman arm for X-over steering and I more ?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Zepplin, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

I have quite of few of your products and I would like to add one more to my Blazer.

The missing "link" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif that I need is the draglink for my X-over steering. I have a different crossmember already installed with a 11+" lift. I have the zero rates moving the axle forward 1". I just need to take the measurements yet.

So, I shouldn't need a bent draglink but, can I purchase the draglink alone without the tie rod ends? And will these be tapped already? I would also need to take into consideration the length of both ends of the tie rods for the total length of the drag link.

2) After looking at how I installed my dropped pitman arm, I think I indexed it wrong on the output shaft. I assume that I needs to run parallel with the frame?? So that when the wheel is turned it will pull from a left to right motion.

Thanks,

Jeremy Begick
    Zepplin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The pitman arm should point straight back when the box is centered, that's the way to check it.

You'll probably want a bend in the draglink to take the angle off the ends, with that much lift, it'll be good to have a bend. I also recommend putting the steering block on with that much lift. I hate to recommend a block but you need to flatten the draglink out somehow and that's the way to do it.
    Past that, let us know the length from center to center and we can build it. If you want to use different ends, measure up the ends with the jam nuts, subtract that from the total and give us a tube length only.

Hope this helps

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I do have a 1" block to raise up the steering arm. I will put the pitman arm on right and then take the measurements.

I will give you a call early in the week.

Thanks again,

Zepplin

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I took the measurement and it measures 45 3/4" from end to end. But, I don't know how much the jam nuts and the TRE lengths yet. I have a couple I could use but they vary. Will a standard GM tie rod end work? It seems to me that it will fit. So what length of a draglink would I need if I didn't have the tie rod ends on them.

I also assume that the bends would be incorporated into the equation.

Thanks,