Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

positraction problems -- big- help please|||||

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hotrodharry, May 28, 2003.

1. hotrodharry

hotrodharry Newbie

The rear end in my 87 K5 locked up as far as turning goes. Removed rear cover and found some of the metal shims on the magnet. I ve rebuilt motors and most other car stuff so I dont think I would have a problem diassembleing the rear gears.My question is could I just take the posi out or parts of it out and run it open untill I could get another rear end??? Thanks

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I believe if it's the Gov Lok type posi, then yes it's possible to dismantle it and run open. Wait for someone else to chime in for a more definitive answer.

John

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

drain it, and refil it useing the GM wale sperm stuff and some 80-90w, and do slow figure 8's in a parkinglot, and it should break free, or else yur screwed, because that is what mine did, and it cracked in half on me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. hotrodharry

hotrodharry Newbie

Thanks 87sm465 but Its locked up pretty tight and it looks like there is some damage to the spider gears. I really want to put a 14ff in but don't have the time or money to right now. I've got a 89 1500 not being used (5 bolt)that I may put in until I can get around to putting in a 14ff.

5. 87sm465np208

dam, to bad you dont live closer, i could of sold you my 6 lug 30 spline axles for what ever they are worth, they came out of my blown gov-bomb. so you could live better with that 10 bolt out of that truck. but best of luck to ya, better to get that peice of [naughty word] out of there before it causes you any more serious problems anyway.

6. hotrodharry

hotrodharry Newbie

TTT ,anyone????

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the spiders are damaged there's not alot you can do. Someone might have an old gov-loc carrier sitting around that they could gut and send you the parts, but you can't post in the wanted section unless you are a paid member... Odds are if you buy a membership and make a post you'll end up with someone willing to give you gov-loc guts for free, that's just the way the members around here are. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What do you guys say, if he buys a membership is someone willing to give him free gov-loc guts? </font>

8. hotrodharry

hotrodharry Newbie

Shaggy, You talked me right into it. K-5 shall receive a money order that I will send tomorrow. In the meantime I think I will jerk the rear end out and see whats bad and see if I can fix it. If the spider gears aren't in too bad a shape I may be able to smooth them out with a 4 inch grinder and a flapper wheel disc. I sure don't want too spend any more on this gov-loc then I have too, I'm going with a 14ff as soon as I finish my shop and have a decent place to work. Does anyone know for sure if I take the interals out of the gov-loc if it will work as a open rear end????????????? Thanks guys.

9. 87sm465np208

well, if you do that with the file, it will only do it again because if they are shiny, the special treatin in the metal is gone. best thing to do now if you want is to get a open carrier and slap that in with your ring gear, save you some time of finding the 14ff and the 8 lug front hubs and stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif