Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Positraction Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Dec 5, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hey yall, now that I know Im doin a 3/4 ton swap I need some suggestions on a traction device. This is a daily driver that sees alot of highway so a Detroit isnt what I want right now. Im not sure what posi's they have for the 14 bolt but I hear Eaton is the way to go. Give me suggestions.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

My K5 is a daily driver and I am putting a detroit in. I drive about 500+ miles a week for work. I have heard that the eatons are not that great. May be someone else will give more info than me.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

A detroit is still ok with a dd, you just have to get used to it and learn how to drive with it. Thare are not many options for the 14 bolt ff.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Eaton Posis are a very strong units. The new Eaton locker has some problems (so I hear). Lockers for 14ff are cheap. A Eaton posi will probably be more $$$. You can get the Eaton with different pressure setups. 400psi is standard but can change springs/clutches to 800psi but might get some chatter.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont understand why everyone says you have to get USED TO a detroit locker on the street... it really ISNT a big change or difference.
    Eaton is defiantely the way to go if you want to go LSD because it is totally rebuildable and like said before you can change the pressure for different "levels" of engagement.

6. daleearnhardt01

Well if the Detroit isnt that bad and if its cheaper then maybe Ill go wit it. Throw out more suggestions. Looks like the Eaton is way more exspensive then a Detroit.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont understand why everyone says you have to get USED TO a detroit locker on the street... it really ISNT a big change or difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It depends greatly on how much power you have on tap. With a Detroit Locker in the back of my TPI 383 powered K5 you have to be prepared when you romp on the loud pedal. Otherwise you'll find that you're suddenly in the other lane. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It never did that when the rear was open.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Lock-Right in my DD. A Detroit would be even better!

I'm never having a rig without a locker again. It's fine on the street.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

5.13's and a deeee-troit.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Eaton is defiantely the way to go if you want to go LSD because it is totally rebuildable and like said before you can change the pressure for different "levels" of engagement.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Cough Cough.....Spitting coffee on Keys)

I can steer my 75 with the gas peddle. You get use to it and it's not a big deal. I had a stock 79 up untill recently. It had the G80 Gov Lock. It drove som much different then the 75 with the Detroit.

I need something for my Burb. The open diff isn't cutting it. This is my DD family vehicle that we putt our camper with. It won't be a Detroit. Eaton is looking good.

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres some really good info on different carriers, Posis, Lockers and adjustments for Eaton units.
    Read the sections under Carriers, Positractions, Lockers, Spools.
    Randys Ring and Pinion Tech Pages
    Lots of other good info at bottom of page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

go with the detroit...i love mine
    cost me about three hundred when i bought it

Later

13. daleearnhardt01

Sounds good Eddie, I was always told the Detroit sucked on the street, I guess they were wrong. Even so that dang Eaton posi is too exspensive for me.