Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poss. bump steer prob???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Oct 23, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I spent the day under the '78 today and removed a leaf from the spring packs, fitted a quick release sway bar kit and some shocks, and a +4" steering arm. Haven't had time to drive it far but the steering feels very lively. Kind of over sensitive and twltchy. I haven't got a damper fitted as it's never seemed to have needed one but now....feels like it needs a few!!
    Is there a problem here or is it now steering as it should with proper steering arm geometry and now needs a damper?
    I have a 4" lift (less one leaf now!), 33" tires and procomp es3000 shocks. The drag link which was at a nasty angle is now dead level.
    Any ideas....feels a bit iffy to me! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

after the raised arm my DD is highly steering sinsitive with alot of bump steer. My drag link is level also but the steering wheel will turn 2-3" when backroad driving where it use to run feathered /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. southernspeed

Yeah weird eh? Just driving a mile home from my workshop it felt really light and twitchy. Anyone got any ideas????

4. southernspeed

No one else had this??????

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have the same problem, I just learned to live with it. I plan do find a d60 cross it and hydro it so i dont know
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Many people have had good luck with a 2" drop pitman arm with 4" of lift or the 4" steering arm with 6" of lift.

Some people have done exactly what you did and then went out and bought a pitman arm and put the stock steering arm back on.

I know that isn't what you wanted to hear as getting parts must be $$$ but I think you need to look into a droped pitman arm or maybe even going back to the stock steering all together.

7. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    Many people have had good luck with a 2" drop pitman arm with 4" of lift

[/ QUOTE ]
    I just can't see why though. With the drag link level now there should be no bump steer at all, well...compared to when the arm was at such an angle before. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

9. southernspeed

I figured out why! it's amazing how these things just come to you when you're soaking in the tub or sitting on the.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    As the axle rises it also travels back, away from the steering box because the spring is fixed at the front. The stock set up has the steering arm below the pitman arm so as the axle rises and moves back the distance between the steering arm and pitman arm stays pretty much constant. Put a 4" arm on there leveling out the drag link and you've now got no compensation for the axle movement.
    Simple really..... but bloody annoying!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Now I gotta change that arm again.
    Anyone know who manufactures a 2" arm? Never seen one advertised. Guess I'll drop Tim's Offroad a line, he's seems to know his stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. southernspeed

Damn...where's Mulder and Scully. You wrote that as I wrote mine!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. southernspeed

UPDATE: I put the stock arm back on and it steers great again so Tim's Ofroad is sending me a 2" drop pitman arm that should sort out the bind problem on full drop.
    And taking a leaf out of the front packs and that monster curved leaf out of the bottom of the rear packs was probebly the best thing I've done to the truck so far. It now rides nearly as nice as my stock '91!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now I'm going to start on some heavy duty bumpers! and the motor and hydro assist and the axle gears and the......... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    UPDATE: I put the stock arm back on and it steers great again so Tim's Ofroad is sending me a 2" drop pitman arm that should sort out the bind problem on full drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great product solution from Tim's Offroad!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Who is this Tim's Offroad anyway? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    Who is this Tim's Offroad anyway? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Beats the hell outta me!! Seems to be some guy that stays up 23 hours a day answering PM's and helping people out, sourcing parts and cutting deals!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you whined about filling out a 'country of origon' statement to ship to Canada and now you are shipping to the UK?
    When the deal is done I wanna which is more difficult or expensive?
    the rate UPS charges to Canada it could be close.

Hey I was wondering if all the 'Surrey girl' jokes originated in the real Surrey or if they are from our local Surrey?

15. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob also-i put my stock steering arm back on and put the drop pitman arm on and solved all the probs

16. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    i had the same prob also-i put my stock steering arm back on and put the drop pitman arm on and solved all the probs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wish I knew all this before I bought the 4" arm and had a friends wife carry it back on the plane to England in her hand luggage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif She wasn't very amused....especially with the diff locker too!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well you should have searched this site.
    I know I have explained that exact steering scenario a few times on here.
    Does search even work here anymore? it used to be great