Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Poss Moab trail Closures Again....

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by K5 NUTT, Dec 2, 2003.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

My snap on dealer's route includes MOAB...he brought me a piece of paper so i could help spread the word.

Last month we lost upper and lower helldorado trails due to the land being sold to a private party...this month it appears they are doing a RMP on the areas that include the following trails...1) Moab Rim...2)Poison Spider 3) Steel Bender.

The first meeting on the issue was held on Oct the 16th...and is open for comment till december 30th...apparantly the local RR4W's were present but htey were out numbered by the green team's....ie tree huggers etc...anyways..if you have the time you can go to Moab Blm field office website and fill out an online form on why you think these trails should be held open...the addy is www.moabrmp.com or www.monticellormp.com.

If this keeps up we will have lost 5 trails in moab this year...need to put a stop to it before we have to find a new home for Blazer Bash and EJS...

Doug W.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I am an avid OHV user and environmentalist. I feel that existing trails should be kept open whenever possible and managed in a way to promote access to areas only seen in magazines. Public lands should be open to the public to enjoy. Not everyone is physically capable of hiking long distances to access the scenic areas and OHV use is one of the best ways for people with a physical handicap to get out there.

If public lands are well managed and policed, I believe public access can be achieved with little to no environmental damage. Please help keep existing OHV trails open.

Kenneth Whitman

[/ QUOTE ]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I find it unbelievable that a town like Moab wouldn't recognize that the 4-Wheeling community is a huge part of their revenue each year....????

If you chase off the 4x4s, you chase off their $$$ too.

Is it too late to pool our money and buy some CK5 trails???? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no doubt, between POR and ck5 and maybe some local clubz and some jeeperz, you'd think we could buy every acre of wheelin trail in/around moab... shouldnt some highroller be organizing this?

j

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Got this E-mail form a buddie...

[ QUOTE ]
    WE NEED YOUR COMMENTS NOW!!!!!!!

Did you know that there is a large group of people that have voiced their
    wish to close all of the trails in Moab for the next 300 to 400 years or
    longer?

NOW it is your turn to make the BLM hear your wishes. But you must do it
    NOW. Now is the public comment period.

The Moab Resource Management Plan (RMP) is NOW

Let the BLM know that you care, that you love to come to Moab and 4-wheel,
    spend lots of money and you and your family DON’T WANT TO GIVE THIS UP AT
    ANY TIME.

Here is all you need to do to help:

1) Take 5 minutes of your time.

2) Send an e-mail to me @ chrisvailchris@aol.com">chrisvailchris@aol.com</a> or <a href="mailto:drtsqrl@frontiernet.net
    (we are Red Rock 4-wheelers). Myself, Jeff and a small group of dedicated
    souls are putting all letters together to send to the BLM.

3) Addresses it to: SWCA, Salt Lake City Office
    230 South 500 East, Suite 380
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102-2015 (but sent to Jeff or I)

4) Write a short comment regarding your concern. Please be specific,
    meaningful and to the point why this issue is so important to you. Try to
    include all the trails you have done.

5) DON’T BLOW THIS OFF!!! If you do and we lose another trail (maybe your
    favorite trail) don’t you dare whine to me or anybody else.

6) Please get this out to all those you know and have them do the same.
    TODAY!!! PLEASE!!!

PLEASE HELP US SAVE YOUR TRAILS
    THE BLM WORKS FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Don’t get mad... lets get writing. Now that’s getting even!!

Send letters to: Jeff Stevens or Chris Schuck
    Red Rock 4-wheelers, Inc.
    128 Arbor Drive,
    Moab, UT 84532

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on people we need to keep this open for future K5 BASHES!!!!

6. denver75k5

Here is a template if you choose to respond:::::

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of those requesting that off highway vehicle trails in and around Moab, Utah remain open. Further, I would like to make a few suggestions to the BLM, none of which require the expenditure of public funds in any significant volume:

1) New trials should be developed to replace those that have recently been closed by the new private owners. Trail use clubs and many independent land users would be happy to volunteer time, energy and effort to this task.

2) To prevent the further creation of unauthorized bypasses by the uneducated, all markings and signs on trails should clearly originate from the BLM. Spray painted rocks, as have been found marking allegedly closed bypasses recently, are not acceptable trail markings.

3) Local businesses and clubs should be encouraged to promote responsible trail use through the development and sale of spill clean-up kits, trail maps showing closed areas, etc. Classes on land use, environmentally friendly driving and riding skills, and even vehicle preparation and repair would also be well received in the community, and would be worthwhile for the sponsoring businesses and organizations.

4) Instructions for the reporting of any illegal or irresponsible behavior should be posted at the beginning and end of each trail, or made widely available throughout the area.

Off-highway vehicle recreation, and its companion sport, mountain biking, are critical to the economy of southeastern Utah and Moab, in particular. The shrill voices of a small minority of anti-use activists should not be allowed to dominate the public dialogue concerning the use of public lands, nor should those activists be allowed to reserve these public resources for themselves.

Respectfully,
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

7. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I sent a message to both adresses and posted a link on my local off-road club site as well as sent an e-mail to everyone in my address book. Everyone please do the same.

8. denver75k5

Kool , THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!!!!!!

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Sent the letter that denver75K5 posted to the BLM site and e-mailed it to Chris.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

so am i supposed to just put my name at the bottom of the template and send it? please forgive my ignorance.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I thought I heard that area was bought for $300 each acre. Hell, we could pool some money together and buy the whole damn state /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought I heard that area was bought for $300 each acre. Hell, we could pool some money together and buy the whole damn state /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd buy 100 acres.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Heck, maybe I'll even build a house on one of them?

13. denver75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    so am i supposed to just put my name at the bottom of the template and send it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do that , or use it as a template and add some of your own thought's and comment's.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sent this:

I am writing to express my concern in regards to OHV trails and possible closures. Myself and my family recently had the opportunity to enjoy some of the trails in and around Moab this past October. We drove 1200 miles (each way) to enjoy the area in an organized event and hope to do so regularly.

I feel that the area can be used responsibly and with minimal impact while still keeping the existing OHV areas open and accessible.

I also feel that as a group OHV enthusiasts are victims of baseless and outdated negative stereotypes. We are not irresponsible, destructive or uncaring toward the environment, nor do we as a group disrespect signage or existing rules. Most of us that enjoy the motorized usage in an OHV area are environmentalists too. We carry spill kits, keep refuse containers with us and pack out as much or more refuse than we came in with whenever we are on the trail. Many motorized users also carry first aid equipment in their vehicles at all times which can be a big benefit if someone is injured in a remote location.

We wheeled Pritchett Canyon, Gold Bar rim, Gold spike, and Lower Helldorado while we were there. I found there was a great camaraderie on the trail between fellow wheelers, mountain bikers, hikers and motorcyclists that we ran across.

For some of us motorized access is the only way we'll ever see these wild and spectacular areas due to physical impediments and challenges. People who love the outdoors come in all shapes, sizes and physical ability levels. To close an area to motorized use is to close it off completely to all except the young and able bodied.

I think it would be a tremendous loss if OHV access was diminished in any way.

Thank You.

Rene

15. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sent in an e-mail. Just hope that we can make a big enough voice to be heard...

Just an idea here, but if they are going to close down some more trails, perhaps we should schedule Blazer Bash to an earlier date, or possibly just plan some more trips out there as a group?

I mean, by going we'd not only be having more fun but also be contributing to the area's revenue. The bigger the numbers we bring to Moab, the more the state will be adverse to closing it. Money speaks.

What do you say? Perhaps we can organize some small trips out there? If nothing else than to enjoy the area a bit more before we possibly lose it?

Just an idea...

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Thanks Doug, TJ and everyone else for this notification and your help.
    1st of all, DAM IT! I'm so tierd of fighting all these people over taking away our rights but the fight MUST go one. I just got done yesterday dropping off letters in my county to all the county officals about our propossed smoking ban! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and I will be fighting them about trail closures up here for OHV including snowmobiles.
    Anyway, I sent in my letters to both addresses you provided and I used a combination of both. It went like this:
    To the BLM:

I am writing to express my concern in regards to OHV trails and possible closures in and around Moab, Utah remain open. Further, I would like to make a few suggestions to the BLM, none of which require the expenditure of public funds in any significant volume:

1) New trials should be developed to replace those that have recently been closed by the new private owners. Trail use clubs and many independent land users would be happy to volunteer time, energy and effort to this task.

2) To prevent the further creation of unauthorized bypasses by the uneducated, all markings and signs on trails should clearly originate from the BLM. Spray painted rocks, as have been found marking allegedly closed bypasses recently, are not acceptable trail markings.

3) Local businesses and clubs should be encouraged to promote responsible trail use through the development and sale of spill clean-up kits, trail maps showing closed areas, etc. Classes on land use, environmentally friendly driving and riding skills, and even vehicle preparation and repair would also be well received in the community, and would be worthwhile for the sponsoring businesses and organizations.

4) Instructions for the reporting of any illegal or irresponsible behavior should be posted at the beginning and end of each trail, or made widely available throughout the area.

Off-highway vehicle recreation, and its companion sport, mountain biking, are critical to the economy of southeastern Utah and Moab, in particular. The voices of a small minority of anti-use activists should not be allowed to dominate the public dialogue concerning the use of public lands, nor should those activists be allowed to reserve these public resources for themselves.

I feel that as a group OHV enthusiasts are victims of baseless and outdated negative stereotypes. We are not irresponsible, destructive or uncaring toward the environment, nor do we as a group disrespect signage or existing rules. Most of us that enjoy the motorized usage in an OHV area are environmentalists too. We carry spill kits, keep refuse containers with us and pack out as much or more refuse than we came in with whenever we are on the trail. Many motorized users also carry first aid equipment in their vehicles at all times which can be a big benefit if someone is injured in a remote location.

For some of us motorized access is the only way we'll ever see these wild and spectacular areas due to physical impediments and challenges. People who love the outdoors come in all shapes, sizes and physical ability levels. To close an area to motorized use is to close it off completely to all except the young and able bodied. Please do not close the trails we all use and love. I would love to be able to visit the trails and see the back country when I'm old and gray and I don't think I could do so on a mountain bike or by walking. Cutting the trails off from motorized use would be like telling the hadicap that they are not allowed in the area because of there ability and that would be a crime.

I feel that the area can be used responsibly and with minimal impact while still keeping the existing OHV areas open and accessible.
    I think it would be a tremendous loss if OHV access was diminished in any way.

Respectfully,
    XXXXXXXXXXX

If you would like to go directly to the BLM form, go to BLM OHV comment form

I would be willing to help buy land there also. I know they are selling the camp ground area and dump bump. I wonder how much they want for it? We should really find out. I'll bet their is a lot of people that would donate a few bucks to help buy it. It could be set up as a join ownership and we could become a corporation with OHV share holders.
    What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

I would be willing to help buy land there also. I know they are selling the camp ground area and dump bump. I wonder how much they want for it? We should really find out. I'll bet their is a lot of people that would donate a few bucks to help buy it. It could be set up as a join ownership and we could become a corporation with OHV share holders.
    What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As I already mentioned, if someone knows of wheeling areas that are up for sale...I will happily contribute $$$ to acquiring them.

18. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I live in NC but I awould be willing to buy a few acres if it would keep trials open and it would give me a reason to go out that way and test out the K5. Mabe some one needs to find out how to buy the land out thier and post it up here.
    Earl

19. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Agreed! Perhaps someone in Grand Junction can ask, or possibly we just need to call? I'd be willing to chip in a bit, even though I don't have much.

20. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

done . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif