Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possable front axel problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Aug 14, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I purchases a D60 front axel today and as I was tearing it down I noticed one of the pin holes on the passenger side spring pad was deformed. It was not round but egg shaped, elongated if you will. Could this cause the axel to shift somehow after it is installed? Is it supposed to be like this? How would one correct it?
    Brent

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Ok, I had this happen to my k20. First off it happed because the U bolts were not tight. Yes, it will make the axel shift with steering input. It will act like real bad bump steer.
    Now here was the fix that I opted for. I first took a piece of 1/8" plate and cut it to the size of the spring pad. I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole in the center of the plate. Then I welded the spring pad hole with a fillet untill the hole was closed. Grind the weld flat and center the 1/8" plate on the pad. Use tack welds to hold the plate in place. Now drill into the pilot hole useing a 3/16" bit. Drill slowly and square into the hole useing larger bits untill you reach the 5/8" neede for the spring center bolt. Cut the plate free and there you have it. A little paint and you are ready for the trail. One tip, try to use a 7018 or 7024 rod to do the pad weld. The 70`s are of harder steel content, and better suited to hard face work like this. Use MIG for everything else if you want.