Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possesed wiring from hell!---Resolved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm having a hard time trying to bring my '83 shortbox back to life. I bought it from a tow yard and the fellas who owned it before did some splice and dice in a few areas that I think I have corrected (mainly the horn and fuseable link).

The problem I'm having is primarily with the lights up front. With all the fiddling I've done, I've had all of them going, but not all at once. I had a blown fuse and no park lights. If I turned on the headlights on low, just the headlights came on. If I kicked it on high, the passenger high would not come on, but the front passenger park light would. I checked the fuses and replaced a bad one. Now all the lights would work except the high passenger's and passenger front and fender park light. I jab at where the wires entered the firewall and then the all the high beams worked and front park light, but no side park light.

Blah Blah Blah, the deal now is that light on the passenger's fender will not work. If I'm in the truck and kick on the high beams, the turn signal indicator will stay light on the right, if I flip on the right turn, the light dims slighty and nothing happens. If I turn on the lows and click right turn, all of the lights in the clusters blink too. The left turn is fine on both sides. I have cleaned all the grounds up front. I have checked all the bulbs. I have replaced the headlight switch and dimmer switch. Right now I have the whole cluster pulled out and can get any where you can name.

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Re: Possesed wiring from hell!

I think since you have it all tore down i would just get one of those "painless wiring harnesses" I have herd they are great.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i feel your pain, i hate wiring anything, wish i could help

4. Blazer_Boy

There is one painful part about painless wiring, the price /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif. We 've got an old '85 'burb laying around that I pulled the front clip off in search of Blazer parts last summer. I think I may pull the front wiring harness from that and plug it in. I guess its hard to find a clear cut answer but I figured I'd post it because it is half way funny, even though its annoying.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that the grounds are GOOD (actually test continuity) and swap the suspect lightbulb from side to side. Hell, switch ALL bulbs side to side.

If that doesn't solve it, or show problems, pull the wiring plug from the firewall (either 1/2" or 10mm bolt) and start testing continuity of the wires from the plug to the bulbs...if no problems here, figure out which wires on the plug you just disconnected SHOULD have power when the headlight switch is on, and test voltage on the engine bay side of the fuse panel connector. It's not hard to diagnose, just time consuming.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the wiring is easier to just change a harness if you have one

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I feel Your pain. Wish I could help. I would have to agree with what dyeager said. Hope it works out soon fer ya

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Go to the www.off-road.com site. There is a guy selling a brand new wiring harness for a pickup for only $150. I saw it this morning in the wiring section of the classifieds.

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Kern,
    Mexicans rule!! Maybe they thought they'd fu@( with the next dumbass who got the truck! Congratulations! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Blazer_Boy

Re: Possesed wiring from hell! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Blazer_Boy

11. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Dude, take it easy on the stereo-types. If you wanna see what THIS Mexican drives, check out my link below. And sorry--no "sparkley window tint" on this ride...

To answer your question, you're probably better off buying a new harness. You can get one from Summit for around 200 bucks. Good luck

Your amigo,
    Mando

12. Blazer_Boy

A'ight Man! Looks like something G.I. Joe would drive. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I can't even manange to keep one of mine on the road because I'm always "upgrading" and have them torn apart.

As to get back on topic. I may have to use the harness if I'm S.O.L. I like a challenge but this may not be worth the bald spot and grey hair that it may give.

13. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

The only person who can make that decision is you. It all depends on the "quality" of the wires now. If a lot of things were rigged into the stock harness, you may never find all the problems. I was thinking of changing my harness but decided against it.

good luck

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Man, I'm sorry, but that is funny to read.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to swap out the harness. That can be a pita itse;f, but probably much less than trying to chase all these wierd shorts and mis/cross-connections...

15. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If it was me, I'd buy some quality wire and a few relays and build my own harness. The stock ones suck anyway. Sometimes it's just easier to start over. Also, it's not your fault, but let's leave stereotypes out of this. I'm just your average old grease-honky white boy from the south. This was the first time I have ever seen any predjudice on this website and, hopefully, the LAST. We might be different colors, but we all like Chevys.

16. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

try buying your K5 and finding out down the road from a mechanic that it has spent some time underwater. My electric system is permafu#$!@. I had the harness redone, etc. I can't do electrical work myself so it's costing a fortune. Arghhh, oh well I still love my rig.

17. Blazer_Boy

Alright, nows your chance to all laugh at me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. As of Saturday I had all of the instrumentation pulled out, the grille off and the head light rings off. I flipped on the park lights and just sat there and shook my head. Then I noticed one bulb was brighter than the other. I ignored it for a while and look again, the right side had both the turn signal and parklight lit on it. I moved the bulb around a little and got that side to work. The driver's side was now being goofy and pulled the bulb, one of the contacts was dangling from it. I got that solved and felt better. I tried the dome light and kept blowing fuses left and right. I pulled the bulb and it was the wrong one and was shorting things out. I pulled about 4 blown fuses out of the fuse block. I found three wires that were hooked into a hot source and went to no where and were laying about. The pressure gauge was pegging out and Icleaned the crap out of the contact and now the gauge was working while I was priming the motor. I don't even wanna talk about the stereo setup. Now hopefully the start up on the new motor will go off without a hitch.

18. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

One good thing about having all the wiring comepletely redone....it will work better than the ones that werre just patched up enough to operate blinkers and taillights. I feel for you. Electrical gripes can be tough. I am an Avionics tech on Huey and Cobra helocopters. MANY MILES of wires on my babies. I hope your new harness works perfectly.