Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possessed dome light question.......

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by heavy4x4, Jan 14, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok...in my dad's '97 burban:

This has just started, after shutting the doors (any door) the dome light will stay on for a little bit, and then go off when it pleases. It will also come on when driving, then go off quickly. Not a lot, but often enough to be annoying. I'm pretty sure it's not the door switches, since it will do it when driving (doors closed) and will do it after any of the doors are closed (not just the driver's door). So, is there a switch somewhere...maybe in the fuse box, that controls the dome lights? Any suggestions would be good, thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Does it matter which door was closed last? There are switches all over the truck that can turn on the dome lights. One on the dash, one at each door and one at the back (at least there is one back there with barn doors). Some alarm systems also tie into the dome light circuit and will turn it on for a few seconds when the doors get unlocked. If that is flaking out then it can turn on the lights at random times.

Dome light circuits work by having 12 volts on one side of the circuit all the time. Any of the switches can supply the ground side of the circuit, turning on the dome light. A short to ground nearly anywhere in the wiring can also turn on the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd start at the door switches though. With each door open, push in the switch and see if the light goes out right away. Try it a few times. Then move to the next door and test again. You might luck out and find a switch that's flaky. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that.
    And yes, it seems that it doesn't matter what door is closed last, the dome light will hang on for a second and then go off. I'm stumped, but I'll check all the door switches and let you know if that's it.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my 88 GM. The door switch seemed to be ok,but,a new door switch fixed mine.