Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possibility of switching to auto

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, Dec 31, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i currently have a SM465 4 spd mated to a NP205. i am going to be doing alot of work on the truck in the next few weeks. been considering switching to a TH400+NP205. preferably by finding a k5 with the tranny and TC as one package.
    do i need to take the driveshaft too?
    any suggestions on what to do with the hole in the carpet? on my k5 there is a plate that covers the tranny that has the shifter hole, does a k5 with auto have the same plate or any at all?

sorry for all the Qs, but my left leg is starting to get tired.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

by the way, which k5s came with that combo?

TIA

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

yes you will need to take the driveshaft also,,, and if you can you may want to unbolt the "tunnel" for the tranny and take it with you.. the tunnel is where the shifter sticks up through the floor....it unbolts..
    if your going to auto you may be able to buy a new shifter to cover the hole up..you might just get lucky and find a shifter that covers or uses the hole in the floor..

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Only a few 1 ton trucks came with that combo. No K5s had that. Find a truck 400 and have a larger bearing put in your case, or find a case that will work with a 400</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey Knife, just kinda curious, why are you wanting to change? A 465/205 combo is pretty scarce in these parts.

[​IMG]

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

well, over here, saudi, the 465/205 combo is more common than autos. i have had a total of 3 k5s and they all came with 4spds. actually i have two k5s right now, both have 4spds, and i have an xtra 465/205 sitting on the floor in my garage. its true they are indestructible (you wouldnt believe the 'tihs' i have put them through), but i mostly do sand dunes and would rather have an auto now that my left leg is getting tired.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com