Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible 465/ 205 issue... question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Heres the story.
    My SM465/ 205 combo has been in the truck and running great for over a yr now. The gasket on the face between the case and tranny has been leaking constant since it was installed, with one removal attempt to seal it that didnt work. So, basically it loses a drop every few minutes or so. Not a huge deal.
    I ran it low about a month ago (tranny) and didnt realize it until it got real loud shifting and running in second. I topped it up, and the noise went away. Fine.
    In the last couple days, I am getting a slight vibration at slow speed in second gear, barely feelable but there. I figured maybe a bearing due to running it low before. Today, I got a fairly good shudder out of it when I let the clutch out, and a pretty bad vibe pulling out of the stop sign. I clutched, stopped, shifted it thru the gears, and tried it again without any problem. It worked good all the way home, except for the slight vibe when decellerating, mostly noticeable in second. When I pulled away from the stop sign right near my house, it shuddered again, and I got the same big vibe. I stopped, and started off again, and it was good.
    I just put her up on the hoist, and checked everything, u-joints are good, the o/p out of the t-case feels ok, the t-case turns fine, as well as whatever turns from the back with the tranny in neutral. The bolts to the engine are tight, as well as all of them on the whole case/ tranny unit. I did get a weird 'ting' metallic sound from the bellhousing area when I put the tranny in gear and turned the case o/p shaft back and forth against the stops... maybe a clutch finger sound?

So, I am wondering if anyone has a direction I should be looking towards as a starting point. I dont really want to drop everything out of the truck without trying everything I can while its still installed. The tranny is full of fluid, and I havent let it go down since that one time. The case is full and always is.
    Any help or ideas will be accepted graciously! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks
    Mike

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IMO you should ignore it
    any shudder would be clutch related not gearbox
    how long did you run it low?
    did you get any pieces big enough to read part numbers when you drained the fluid?
    no part numbers = ignore on these sloppy old gearboxes

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, Im kinda thinking it may be clutch related. It was low for about 5 miles... its a daily driver, but Im only about 3 km from work, so I noticed it noisy on the way to work one day, drove it there, back, and to work and back again before I topped it up. Not even any highway speeds, max was 70 km/h.
    Well, may be dropping it out anyways, so will check out the clutch.
    Thanks MJ!
    Mike

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A broken or loose motor or trans mount will make the truck shudder when you try to engage the clutch.