Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possible answer to problem............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Jun 14, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

my drive shaft has a little play in it where it meets the transfer case. the u joint has no play, but the (yolk)? coming from the np208 is loose in an up and down fashion. its the part of the transfer case that pulls out to meet the front of the rear driveshaft. it has some play in it, could that be whats causing my random thump sound when i gas it from a stressful standstill (such as an uphill start) ? no other part of the shaft has play, not even where it meets the rear 10 bolt
    thanks........please respond.....Kelboski

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Sounds like the bearings in the tail section are going bad. I don't have a manual with me, but I'd bet its either that or the shaft is worn and is giving it the play.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

would that be causing my thumping noise Corey? how much to fix such a problem, what to buy and what to do? is that a major problem, or just minor?
    thanks Kelboski

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    As far as "thumping" noise. Its hard to imagine a thumping noise. They differ so much. But if you imagine that when you accelerate the rear will tilt up, push the driveshaft in, but if there is slop, it will rise up. As the U-joint spins it will "thump". I don't know how serious it could be. As far as the price to get it fixed. I would guess it would depend on replacement parts and if you are willing to do the work your self. One word of caution. The 208 is Alum. If the problem has been severe enough for Long enough, it could be oblonged & unrepairable. The good news is the 208's tailshaft of the housing is removable. The other parts should beable orderable.

Best of luck, and sorry I don't know a lot about the acutal inner workings. I'd suggest gettnig dirty if you don't mind.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

thanks Corey, anyhting helps and your input helps alot. the thumping just started last week,so it should be serious, i'll have it checked out, and report the findings soon
    thanks alot........Kelboski

6. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

You might want to check all around the floor pan above the t-case and see if there are any fresh scratches or dents. If your cross member is loose, it can bump up against the floor pan. Just a thought. Take care.... Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

the mechanic i take my 84 to for the things i don't know how to do, says the problem is old lube/old gear oil in the rear end. he said that changing the lube/oil in the rear will cure the thump. he sais he's fixed the same problem on many others. i can trust him because he has an 83 K5.
    we'll see i guess, thanks for the advice fellows.......
    Kelboski