Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible blown head gasket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UTmobile, Aug 8, 2003.

1. UTmobile

UTmobile Registered Member

I am blowing anti-freeze through my exhaust. So my question is; what kinds of damage can that do to my engine? If it’s blowing out the exhaust then it’s probably down in the oil as well right? Or is it possible that it is only leaking through the exhaust valve and nothing else?

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I think the only way that oil can get into the combustion chamber is from a blown head gasket or leaky intake gasket. You could also have a cracked block but that mainly just contaminates your oil and doesn't necessarily get into the combustion chamber. So if your positive that the stuff coming out of your exhaust is coolant, then I'd say leaky/blown head gasket. Changing one of these is quite a pain with the engine in the vehicle but can easily be done in a weekend or in a day depending on how much experience you have. I changed mine last October.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Make sure you've definitely got a blown head gasket before diving in. The intake gaskets on these engines are notorious for going bad and leaking coolant into the engine. Intake gaskets are MUCH easier to change than head gaskets. Does your engine run bad and miss? If not, then your head gaskets are not your problem.

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

On an '83 model year truck, if indeed it had a stock engine, and yours doesn't (it says you swapped from a diesel in your bio.) It could also be a cracked head... Later Chevy head castings are notorious for this (believe me, I know, I'm an engine machinist.) An intake manifold gasket really won't get water into your jugs... It could be letting in excessive oil (blue smoke) making a vacuum leak (rough running, idle too fast) or letting water into your oil (makin' gravy.) Most likely your troubles are head related. If you do have the heads off HAVE THEM MAGNA-FLUXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in all honesty, you should probably have them surfaced too.

If you need any more advice, PM me or e-mail me.