Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible burb build (ideas)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Jul 6, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Well, I just got the opportunity to aquire a 78 sub 3/4 ton and 4x4 for 500 bucks. And it is in decent shape(a bit of rust), but missing the motor and hood. What I was thinking, was if it would be a good idea so scrap the body, and bolt up a truck or crew body and a bed. Or I was going to clean up the body and keep it. Which do you think I should go for? Ideas please. Also, since it doesnt have a motor, I have a friend who owes me some machine work in exchange for some work I did for him, and I think that it would be a pretty cool idea if I had him build a buick grand national motor with a stout bottom end, and I slapped on a twin turbo setup. I figured I would have awesome power and throttle response, and could get decent mileage while cruising. What do you guys think? For the motor, I will need to get decent gas mileage and be able to tow when neccesary(not often). I am also thinking about the cummins conversion, but dont want to have to buy a new tranny and transfer case and the works. What do you guys think, ideas on build up? Just remember, it needs to stay street legal, reliable for towing, decent mileage, and still haul around some buds.
    Otherwise I am open to suggestions.

Remington

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

ttt

3. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

SBC's are amaxingly cheap. I would toss a 350 in it and run with it. Turbos + Water = junk ina hurry. If you plan to wheel around water at all i wouldnt want a turbo. just my $.02