Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible causes of U-Joint breakage?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by klier, Oct 24, 2000.

1. klier

klier Registered Member

Alright guys, I have my first breakage! Broke the U-Joint at the front of the transfer case...

Could I just get a brainstorming list of possible causes of this happening? Don't have any lift so doubt it's any driveshaft angle problem ... Any good places to start would be appreciated. Want to know why it failed so I can get to the root of the problem....

Brian Klier
    '86 Chevy Blazer "Truck"
    brian@kliernetwork.net
    http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

hhhmmm.
    neutral gear drop.
    rolling back and forth in gear and suddenly getting traction
    extreme lead foot.
    defective u joint.
    yada yada yada!!!

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Uhhhhh Age?

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. klier

klier Registered Member

I'm 22 -- Yeah, I kicked the gas a little hard but I hardly doubt my 350 is THAT strong, especially on solid pavement :-)

The front driveshaft was out of it when I bought the project. Had new U-joints pressed in, and I greased them before installing the driveshaft - the bolts attaching the shaft to the transfer case are also broke...

Brian

5. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

uuummmm did it have grease? on my truck it came stock with a cv joint. i did all the ujoints nad found the 2 in the cv were toast and about ready to go. and the centering yoke in there was gone too. but i got to take the hump off from over my tranney to greas everything, real pain in the a$$. say anyone got a better way of greasing my u-joints in the cv joint?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

6. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

never underestimate the power of even a stock 350 especially
    on pavement. that motor has plenty enough testicals to break
    a 1/2 ton u joint. when you compound that with asphalt and
    a lead foot you equal broken stuff. Trust me I was 22 not
    that long ago and I broke my fair share of u joints and dropping drive shafts. Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

7. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i busted my rear driveshaft with a stock 350. is it 4wheel drive all the time? and if so y would you romp on it so hard? your t-case won't like it on solid pavement. and if its not full time 4wheel the nwaht were u doing in 4 wheel on the pavement?

i'm not trying to come off as mean, but just want to try and give u a hand. sorry if i did.
    and hey i'm 18 and i have broke lots of stuff on my truck. mostly because of stupidity and lack of expereance.

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I broke mine too. They just dont last as long on a truck as the ymight do an a car and they break from time to time. If you floor it or peel out that doesn't help it either.

90K5

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My guess is too much [​IMG] pedal. I broke 3 joints at the rearend last year in a very short period of time, just driving on the street. I traced it back to a previoius owner using the wrong bolt to put the straps back on, thus stripping the yoke and causing the bolts to loosen while driving.</font color=blue>

10. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I think FWP may have meant the age of the u-joint, not your age. [​IMG] Maybe not

11. klier

klier Registered Member

Heheh, I love all you guys' responses .... Actually, these U-Joints are probably 4 months old. I had these pressed in by probably some individuals that had no idea what they were doing (zirks were in a spot where I couldn't even get a grease gun). Yeah, it's got an NP203 case, and thus it's full-time 4 wheel drive. I really wasn't hitting the gas all that hard, or at least not hard enough to break something. Then again ya never know.

JunkYardCrawler: Yes, it was on the CV side of the front driveshaft. All these U-joints were replaced like 4 months ago. I actually greased them myself before installing the driveshaft. There was always some vibration in the driveline --- possibly the driveshaft was out of phase, but I had no reference to the way it was supposed to go (the driveshaft was off with no marks when I got the thing)

Guess I'm wondering from the rest of you all if there is any other underlying reasons that would cause a relatively new U-joint to break as it did.

Heck, if the actual reason IS my lead foot, at least I know the truck is coming along better than it was when it started the project :-)

Brian

12. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Take a look at them and you can see why they break. Strange stresses due to constant changing angles, then look at the size of them and be proud they even last a day. They are the weak link especially in a lifted vehicle. That's why cv joints are a 1000 times better. You can apply more torque at extreme angles and not even bother them. I still like solid axles better, but the new chevys have it going on with those cv joints up front. If they'd make some aftermarket axles with them they'd last forever. Totally sealed, beefy, but no flex is the bad thing. Maybe a straight axle with cv's at the end and a rear shaft with cv's would be the S#@T....

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Yes [​IMG] that's what I meant [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>