Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible death wobble solution..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Oct 12, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Yesterday morning I took out all 4 of my center cab mounts and replaced them with new ones from lmc . When I put in the new rubber lower cusions I left them loose thinking that the extra play would give me a smoother ride (BIG MISTAKE) This morning on my way to work I just got on the highway and about 38-42 mph my truck went into the violent shaking motion I felt it in the steering wheel and throughout the whole truck so I pulled over and limped the truck home .I then tightened all 4 mounts so that it squished the rubber cusions about 3/8s to a 1/2 inch exposed then I went down the same route and sure as [censored] the wobble was gone I was thinking WTF when I last had the dw I had a broken mount on the left side of the truck but I replaced the steering stab and ps pump and it went away .Am I crazy or does this sound like it could be a culprit in our rigs?? I have 10 bolt axles and from past posts it seems that you guys with the d 60s have this problem intensly .would the stiffer drivetrain resonate more vibrations into the trucks . Those of you still having dw just try cranking down your body mounts and see if that will take some of it away .Just a thought in trying to help us all with this scary ass problem our trucks seem to get ........good luck all let me know what you guys find out.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hey... with my hubs locked ... and on pavement in 2wd, my trucks steering and the whole truck itsself shakes alot but at a mere 15mph or so... is that considered death wobble? Or is that just cause my trucks a POS /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's a good idea to run any 4x4 with locked hubs on the pavement /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif..But what I was experiencing was that my k5 would just start to feel like it was shifting side to side and the steering wheel would rotate with the shaking and the only way to stop it was to completely stop.I mean the whole truck felt like it was jumping off the road side to side it is a scary thing to go through especially with cars around you I have measly 33s I can imagine what it is like for you guys with 38s-44s .

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Running with the hubs locked, in 2WD, is OK on pavement unless you have a locker up front. I leave mine locked in a lot in the winter. That way I don't have to worry about getting out to lock in the hubs at every icy or snow packed hill. Just yank the lever back to 4 HI and never even slow down. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Then shift back to 2WD after getting through the nasty stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif