Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible Distributor problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ditchdigger, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

Mar 11, 2001
    I've swapped in a 454ci in my Blazer and I'm using the original HEI distributor that was in the original small-block 305 in this truck.

I am wandering if there is anything that needs to be changed on the distributor to work with the 454ci, for example: Dist. advance.

The problem is I get to a certain RPM and she just dies, almost like the key was turned off, but runs like a top at Idle and part throttle. When I'm driving it will do same thing and quit, then I'll let off throttle a little bit and starts runnin again most likely from moving. It will also pop and sputter too at mid to high rpm, this distributor worked fine before also.

I've also put the timing light on it after I did it by listening and getting the dist. turned in approximate area,
    the timing mark is way off from my TDC at pointer, the Damper is about straight up, but it runs best in that area.