Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible donor np205 sm465 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just found a parts truck,1980 and the body is SHOT! Got 350 / 465 / 205 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear. The tranny seems to be stuck in gear. Lets say the transmission is in 1st gear clutch is let out will the 4wd shifter be able to move. What are the setups to be able to move the t-case through the gears. tranny in neutral I should be able to shift through 4Hi - N - 2L - 4Lo? How can I ensure the t-case works before purchasing it? Are np205's that bullet proof and how much to rebuild?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to shift the t-case no matter what position the tranny is in. And I doubt that the t-case is broken, esp. if it has a 10/12 bolt. As far as the tranny, granny low is kinda hard to shift in and out of. But there's a good chance it just needs to be rotated a little bit to take the load off the gears.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If the tranny is stuck in gear, I gotta ask how long was the truck sitting?

I would crawl under the truck and remove the flywheel inspection cover and take a long screwdriver or pry bar and check to see if the clutch, pressure plate, etc. are "rusted" or "frozen" to the flywheel.

Sometimes a truck with a manual tranny can sit for so long and the clutch will "rust" to the flywheel, requiring some method to pry it apart to get them to turn again.

Try this and see what happens. If they break loose, you could probably drive the truck home. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

That was actually gonna be my first question to the owner...undoubtably its been sitting atleast a yr. He even mentioned he wasn't sure whether or not the pressure plate was disengaged or not. Looks like I won't even be able to use this setup because its 10 spline and I am looking for 32 spline stuff. Rare find and great price for this area but just not what I need.

Thanks for the advice though....who knows I may get crazy and throw my c-10 body onto the frame for the right price....