Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possible engine rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tim_87, Jun 13, 2003.

1. tim_87

tim_87 1/2 ton status

does anyone in north louisiana know of a good mechanic
    that you can count on and will not overcharge. looka like time for a rebuild on my 87 350. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is there a GM dealer nearby? Some of their crate motors are hard to beat for price, and include a warranty....

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I'm not in Louisiana, but if your looking for a rebuild price, I was quoted $775 on my 87 K5 350. I was also quoted $675, but decided not to go with that shop because they didnt sounds like they knew what they were doing. The $775 shop said they would bore it .030 over for me, and put new everything in it except the block. They are also letting me keep my block. At first I was thinking of going with an autozone remanufactured engine, and the owner of the rebuild shop said if I bought the autozone engine and took it to his shop, he would tear it down and one of his rebuilds down, and if his wasnt built better he would give it to me. He also said he would give me a spec sheet, and if I wanted, I could come everyday in the shop and watch my engine being rebuilt to make sure I liked everything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Really nice guy. But anyways, I think I got lucky on finding that shop. Just my $.02
    -Harrison

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good shop. I would ask around and also ask the shop owner to talk to some of their previous customers to see how they like the work they had done. Every little bit of information helps when you are laying down that kind of bread.

Kris

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Go to www.citymotorsupply.com I got my reman there. 1 year warranty, gasket set, super long block (Everything but tin ware) and 2 cans of paint for $705.