Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possible engine transmission failure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmyguy, Sep 14, 2003.

1. 88jimmyguy

88jimmyguy Newbie

ok... I have a 88 jimmy 5.7 liter 700r4 np208. over the last several weeks i transmissin problems. the jimmy doesn't /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifwant to shift through the gears. the engine whines out before the shift, shifts hard. then today, the engine died.
    no smoke sounds or fluid leaks. the engine turns over recieves fuel but doesn't fire. any thoughts thanks for all the help....

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

first parts sounds like leaky vacuum or bad fluid. second part sounds like timing way off (stripped cam gears?) or corroded distributor rotor

also- why'd you wait almost two years after registering to make your first post!??!

3. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

not sure about the enigne dying but the tranny needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I had the same problem and some grinding noises coming from the rear of the sub and i thouhgt it was the rear end. had the tranny replaced and the grinding noise went away.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    On the 700, it isn't going to be vacum... they don't use it. Check your TV cable adjustment (not sure where I saw it... but somebody has a real good write up on how to do it). Also, it could be a governor... but when my 700 had these symptoms it did require a rebuild /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. The engine not starting like that could be an ignition module... had that happen once too!