Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possible good idea, please shoot me down.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Feb 28, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok heres my latest crazy idea. rather than useing those easy to steal locking lugnuts. what if i only used 7 lug nuts to hold on each wheel, then drilled a hole in one and put a small paddlock through it. the bastereds would have to use a torch to steal my junk!!!!!!! now feel free to tell my why this wont work. i realize the lock would clank on the wheel but i could figure out a way to deal with that. so....... go ahead, let my idea have it!!!!!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you rally do deserve that nickname! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

it might work, but the noise would drive me nutty

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Try and balance that mo-fo. THe weight of the lock is basically added to the wheel making it way off balance. You would need lots of mouse balls to over come that.
    Blake

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Besides the clanking and balance issues, a small padlock isn't any harder to remove than a lug nut...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mess the theives up and install left hand thread studs.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, it's an idea anyways. Not so sure if it's a good one, but it is definately an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think that it would be easier to get through a padlock that's small enough to get through a hole drilled in a wheel stud than it would be to break off a wheel lock. Not to mention it would look really hokey. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

7. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

Yeah, I have a pair of bolt cutters that cut through padlocks like a hot knife through butter.... Trust me, if they REALLY wanna steal it, they probably will... Those locking lugs would be harder, I'd think... Keep thinking though, you may be on the right track to something new /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you rally do deserve that nickname!

[/ QUOTE ] That made me think of something I saw in an e-mail........

<font color="red"> You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
    it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. </font>

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Why don't you just weld the lug nuts to the wheel when there on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or like Rene said use left hand threads, But I'd do every other one LH that would confuse em /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

drill a cross hole in the lugnut and stud and pound a roll pin through there. Sand it off nice and smooth and fill it over with something to hide it. I hope you never need to take it off. Not entirely sure how you would ever get it accomplished either. HEHE... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Glad i don't have to do that around here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad i don't have to do that around here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] he doesn't have to in his town, it's when he comes to my neighborhood that you've got to worry about crap like that /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.... BOG DOX!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

....or..... put 8 little padlocks on.. and it will be balanced ! and 7 more times better

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    after putting the lugs on the wheel, you could grind all of the flats off of the lug so that no standard socket would fit it. Of course when needed to take the wheel off you would have to weld a socket onto it.. but no theif would be able to get it off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

sounds like a great idea for roadside tire changes too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

just come to arizona, when its summertime that stunt would murder their hands if they tried to even touch your lug nuts, 120 degreese, plus sinse you have 8 lugs they will probabbly stop every 5 minutes for water, just keep the hose in the back yard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

also a bonus for having 8 lug, its like the theave have a whole nother rim to undo unlike 6 lug /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That would be the same as using a cheep locking lug-nut. Comes right off w/ Vise-Grips.

18. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just figure out a way to mark your rims and tires. So if they do get the "cheap locking lug nuts" off, you can identify them later. Chances are they will be picked up for something eventually. I'd like to see you get my "cheap locking lug nuts" off with vise-grips. But I torque mine, against what they tell you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If the are the ones that are accesable above the rim face (those are the what I think of as the cheep one) then I would have no prob removing them w/ Vise-Grips &amp; a 3 lb hammer. BTDT.

20. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i had some locking lug nuts once, they were starting to get stripped out and so i put some cheap new ones on (like from autozone). the next week i got new tires and when i took off the nuts, only 2 of the 4 came off, i should have stuck with the old ones, they at least came on and off. i figure if someone really wants to go through the trouble of jacking up my truck and stealing my rims and tires, they couldnt jack up the truck because the garage roof is in the way.

My K-5