Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

possible hookup of a K30 4X4 for free!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Apr 22, 2007.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

so my bud calls me and tells me about his aunt letting some guy she knows park and store a mid to late 70's chevy 4x4 1 ton pickup on the side of her house for a good while. now she wants it out of there and cant find this person. said she will give the truck away. can she just do that?

the details are minimal but IF, I SAY, IF this IS a K30, I want it and would take it in a heart beat, but I dont want no trouble from this either. my bud said it looked like big axle under the front of the truck. if its a K30 ofcourse it should be a D60. so now I cant wait to go see it. we are going to try to go see it this week. I just want it for parts. man the antisapation is killing me.

2. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man Registered Member

Not sure how Cali law works but in AZ you would just have to file for abandoned title. They'll try to locate the last known owner and give then a certain amount of time to claim it, pick it up, and pay any and all storage fees. If they can't find the last known owner or that person doesn't respond to the notification within the specified time they will transfer ownership to the filing person.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd be worried about potential theft charges...

4. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

in oregon i think you have to contact the cops, wait 30 days and file some papers. if i got it though instead of trying to get the title, id tear it apart and use the parts from it.

5. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

ya, im pretty sure that u can file for abandonment paper work and there is somthin like a 30 or 40 day waiting period befor they will send u a new pink slip. easyest thing to do is to go to DMV and make sure u can do it befor u get it tho.

6. Scrt_Agent_Man

Scrt_Agent_Man Registered Member

I just talked to a friend of mine who knows about this stuff and he said if you're just going to use it for parts you should strip what you want off it then have one of those donation places pick up what's left. You can tell them it was abandoned on your property and you're unable to find the owner which according to your original post would be the truth. They'll then go through the process of filing for abandonment and dealing with the owner if he/she tries to claim it.

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

but if they succeed in finding the owner, your screwed....cause you stole all the valuable parts off it....

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

No, because it was abandoned on your property missing those parts. ;)

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

he said nothing about wanting to register it, he just wants the parts

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

personally if I left my truck at someones house and was unreachable for a long period of a time... but then came back.. id be pissed if it was missing....
    I would definitely go the cop route first.. tell them his name and see if they can track him down for you first... yeah we all like scoring stuff cheap and hate when people steal stuff... however is this any different than stealing?
    I think not.!!!

11. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

P/O obviously isn't that interested in the truck, hence why it's sitting and they can't reach him. If he can put the abandoned vehicle title on it, and then strip it for parts, more power to him.

That's not stealing. I was kidding in my earlier post, because yes I too would be pissed if someone leeched the good stuff off of my cheap K30 beater. But if he can go about it in a legal way...well. Personally, if I acquired it legally, I'd strip EVERYTHING useful off of it, put some 10 bolt roller axles under it, and give the old scrap yard or junkyard a call, and get a couple hundred more outta the carcass, as quickly as possible.