Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible Hub problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mlrtme315, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mlrtme315

mlrtme315 Registered Member

Over the weekend my idiot lil brother got his S10 blazer stuck in a mud pit... of course where he wasnt supposed to be so I went to pull him out with my K5. The only problem is that when I locked my hubs (Warns) even before I threw it in 4wheel the drivers side front wheel was making some awful sounds... kinda sounded like every revolution it was banging on something. Once we got him all pulled out and I started looking at it. I cant tell what is wrong with it... Im guessing that its either the hubs or the axle and since when I unlocked the hub the sound went away im guessing its the hub.

Im not a mechanic, and im pretty new to the whole Blazer thing... It did take me almost 2 months to rebuild and replace my power steering pump (dont ask I feel like an idiot) but those are my best guesses. If anyone could help me out with and thing that it could possibly be, or what to look for, or any advice id appreciate it. Im supposed to be going wheeling in 2 weekends and need to get this problem fixed before then. Thanks.

Mark

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

remove the locking hub, and start inspecting parts one by one.

after you remove the locking hub, remove the spindle nuts, and remove the hub. inspect your bearings cause they could be your problem. i knew nothing about axles and totally rebuilt a set of 3/4 tons. its not too bad at all. take your time and get one of those magnetic bowls for the parts. makes a big difference. if you find the problem is withing the bearings, i would change them, and then do the other side as well.

good luck and post some progress.

3. mlrtme315

mlrtme315 Registered Member

Thanks alot, guess ill have to take it by the garage on thurs when i get off work and start going through the axles. I guess this could also be a result of having 39" tires on 1/2 ton axles? Im assuming. I bought the Blazer just on a whim and really didnt know anything so, o well im learning and paying for it now.

Mark

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if you wheel a lot i would get at least some 3/4 ton axles. good uck man

tom

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

being 39s and 1/2 ton, could be a broken wheel joint. from the front of the truck near the wheel, between the ball joints, see if that joint is broken.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you wheel a lot i would get at least some 3/4 ton axles. good uck man

tom

[/ QUOTE ]

the only advantage to 3/4 ton is the 14bFF. The front end is just as weak as 1/2 ton.