Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible K5 purchase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LuvmyXJ, Dec 28, 2000.

1. LuvmyXJ

LuvmyXJ Newbie

I am looking to possibly purchase an '89 K5. A small dealer has it and is asking $5995. It has 112,000 miles on it and according to Kelly Blue Book, the price is right on the money for my area (southcentral PA). The interior looks to be in mint condition and there is very little rust (under the tailgate, which seems to be common, and a small spot on the corner of the passenger door.) I have not driven it yet. I did not try the magnet test, but all the seams match up. Only exterior damage is a crack in the front plastic grill. The frame looks pretty solid and does not look as if it has been recently painted to hide anything. It has been sitting on his lot for the past month or so, and I am kinda waiting till I get my tax refund check because I do not want to finance an 11 y/o vehicle. Besides, if it is still there, maybe fate wants me to get out of this Cherokee (Jeep XJ) and into something a bit bigger. (No Jeep bashing, though. My '88 has 207,000 miles on it and still gets almost 20 mpg.) Any tips on what to check for? I did read the other post on purchasing, but just thought I 'd put mine up, too.

Thanks for any help.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

carefull sayin the j#ep word 'round here lol is it a stock blazer? no lift any of that kinda stuff? price sounds bout right

[​IMG]

3. LuvmyXJ

LuvmyXJ Newbie

Yea, I forgot to add that. Looks like a stock truck, stock rally wheels, 31x10.50's. It looks like there is still a bit of room in the wheelwells. Will 33's fit under a stock K5? It will see mostly street use with maybe some very light offroading until I get used to the size.

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

33's might fit if you dont do (any) flexing someone correct me if im wrong but youd need to do some trimming

[​IMG]

5. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

Rust is your biggest enemy. For 6 grand you should be able to get something with very little rust. I would not buy that truck until you pull up the carpet in the back and inspect the tailpan and floor. I would also look in the area forward of the rear wheels inside the fender. Also check for cracks on the frame where the leaf springs bolt up and where the steering box bolts on. Look for bent shackles / skid plates and other signs of abuse. Look for dry grease fittings or signs of poor maintenance. Crawl under it and look around at everything. RUST RUST RUST RUST - mechanical stuff can be replaced much easier that body parts.