Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible Move to TEXAS ...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by behemoth, Feb 25, 2004.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I may be relocating to Midland Texas. Anybody from around there? What's the wheeling prospects? What's the engineering community like (I'll need a job when I get there /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )? How's the cost of living? Thanks!

MikeM

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Located in Abilene, there are some good sand dunes not to far from you, but not to disapoint, the Midland/Odessa area is in the Plains of West Texas with Abilene, theres not much out here /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif There is better wheeling in San Angelo, about 88 mi south of Abilene, and K-rocks isn't to far away /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Whats the reason for the move?

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

My significant other (soon to be wife) has a line on a job in the medical community. Since she makes two to three times what I make, we'll investigate relocating verses me staying in Kentucky and commuting to see each other every other weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Move to Texas, you won't regret it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Welcome to Texas you will love it here I am near san antonio and we have some decent places here and close by ....Jason

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I may be relocating to Midland Texas. Anybody from around there? What's the wheeling prospects? What's the engineering community like (I'll need a job when I get there /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )? How's the cost of living? Thanks!

MikeM

[/ QUOTE ]

It's flat. Curvature of the earth flat. One of the few places that I like to fly into. Emergency runway as far as the I can see.

As for work, look for a job in Oil and Gas, that's big. You've got two towns right next to each other Midland and Odessa. Midland is your white collar eng town and Odessa is the Blue collar town. Wouldn't mind living there myself, except that a calm day is winds below 30 mph /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If you like grass, trees, and water, Midland will be a little shock. If you like hot, dusty, windy, you will love Midland.

8. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

follow the wife...welcome to texas
    be aware texas only has 2 seasons
    season 1 winter last december--- last week of february
    season 2 summer the rest of year

all hail the almighty sawzall

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My sister and brother-in-law will be moving out there in the summer. They went last week to look for a place to stay and said the cost o livin is a helluva lot cheaper(compared to Austin which is probably the most expensive in the state). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

Out that way its definitely not the Kentucky blue grass type of scenery you're used to. mmmmm.... and the aroma of oil refineries and cow dung. The smell of money. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Out that way its definitely not the Kentucky blue grass type of scenery you're used to. mmmmm.... and the aroma of oil refineries and cow dung. The smell of money. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Wink, TX, about 60 miles from Midland. If you don't like the smell of petroleum(farts), you could be in trouble.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you don't like the smell of petroleum(farts)

[/ QUOTE ]
    So true! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Wink Texas! Man I know all the Wink texas jokes. Born and raised in El Piso. Tool pushed in Kermit for awhile. till Reagan messed that up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. bunker

bunker Registered Member

The change in the weather is what will take the longest to get used to. Midland is loaded with restraunts and home improvement centers but as far as employement the oilfield and medical is about all there is. At least where the money is.

I work for an apartment community here, Windtree Apartments, if you want the prices let me know. We offer a 5% discount for Midland Memorial employees.

Just be sure to move into the LEE school district. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah ... I forgot to ask ... what about HUNTING?? (whitetail deer, upland gamebirds, turkey, etc.)? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for all the replies! Nothing is definite - just scoping out all of the possibilities. If her job does materializes, we'll definitly commute for a while until I find a job and / or property. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm sure it'll be much different that what I'm used to in Kentucky. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... but what the heck - change does the soul good now and again.

Mike

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

There is excellent hunting in west Texas, hell most of Texas for that matter. We even have public lands for hunting but they are overcrowded and you are liable to get shot. If you need me, I will be out in the National Forest's hunting /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Problem with hunting is you have to know someone with a lease(or fork over the cash yourself) because the public hunting lands totally suck!

18. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Well ... she got the job. At least one of us is going to Texas right away! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike

19. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I here ya dude. I grew up hunting public lands. The best hunting would have been at night when it is illeagal. During the day you were lucky to see anything move. I think that must be why so many people get shot in the national forest, the hunters get bored and decide to hunt each other /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Midland is a pretty good town and the people seem decent. I lived there for two years while I went to the college. The closest good wheeling is 10 mi. outside of Kermit (my home town, 60 mi. from midland) at the sand dunes. It's free and lots of fun. If you want to go out there post up in the Plains forum or send me a PM, I might be able to come down and go wheelin with you.