Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible new 86 crew cab for me, comments?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Nov 15, 2005.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, what does everyone think of this deal I might be getting on this crew cab. Its an 86 4 wheel drive, gots an 454/400/205, 60 front 70 in the rear. Truck is in great shape cosmetically when I took pictures of it. The guy claims to be the original owner and that it has 80k original miles. He said he never drove it much only to tow his boat. Looks like it has 80k because the interior is in great shape, no tears stains in the carpet, seats, or headliner. Im going to his house today to go drive it and hear it run. I think 4000 is a very fair price for this rig, as long as the motor sounds good fluids look and smell good Im goin for it. So whats ya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah paint is glossy and the only ding I could find was in the tailgate.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4000 ?:eek1: hell i will buy it and ship it to the east coast for me.:p: :p:

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

4 Gs!!! That sounds like a great deal. I'd check a car fax report just to make sure on the mileage, but at $4K, it would be a pretty good deal for 180K miles. In my search for a crew cab 4x4 dually, I've considered a lot worse truck for a lot more money. Just my $.02.

To give you a comparison, I paid $10.5K my 90 V3500 with 60K miles.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Buy Buy Buy Buy !

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You better buy that thing before the guy changes his mind.

6. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh me likey!! :woot:

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Looks like a good deal.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah, I just got back from looking at the truck. The truck runs really really good. Fires up, no weird noises, drives straight and stops like none other. Oh yeah, I sealed the deal, gave him a 500 dollar deposit and we made the deal. Im going to pick it up on thursday. And without even hangling him he gave it to me for $3800! :woot:

more pics to come in a few days, theres a few things I initally plan to do to it. Like ditch the running boards and that front bug shield. Bumpers pretty cool and I think I will leave that on.

9. 1-ton

The first thing you should do when you get that thing home is to take off those gay step rails on the side of the truck. My crew cab had some when I bought it, and they where gone two hours after I got it home.

10. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

nice score!!! i always wanted something like that myself. :D

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ok so here are a few updated pics, no more gay steps and front bug shield. Next will be 35's on a 4 inch lift and a new paint job. Probably red. Also is some pics from a week ago in the desert. The trailer is one of my friends, I had to tow it out of camp becuase hos new duramax diesel is a 2 wheel drive. My dually had abosolutely no trouble getting it out of the sand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Looks like a great score.

13. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice score you got there! It looks SO much better without the running boards and the bug deflector on it.

14. ARAMP1

It's going to look sweet with the lift and 35s!

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thanks, what color you think? Im thinking red would be saweet. Hey ARAMP1 I think I may keep it a dually like yours. I am still about 50/50 where as at first I was like 80 percent sure that I wanted to single wheel it. Yours got me thinking twice about it. Also because I love when I drive down the street everyone gets out of my way when they see those big ass dually fenders on the side. Ok and while Im pic whoreing I might as well stick one other up of me on my bike. This is at a track though before I broke my collar bone which happened a few months ago, Ill tell you one thing though, I dont like titanium. Especially now that I have a plate and six screws in my shoulder.
    [​IMG]

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

looks nice jeremy..... now just take a break from riding and finish your k5 allready.

17. ARAMP1

I'm all for the duals. If I had found a nice SRW, I would have converted it to a dually. :) Anyway, when I get around to painting mine, it's going to be either a very bright fire engine red or black. Don't know which yet, and since painting it is so far down the list of things to do, I really haven't thought about it yet.

Are those simulators or are those aluminum wheels? What size are they (16s or 16.5s)? They'd look really nice with soem 35 to 37 inch swampers on them.

18. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

What are you guys doing for rims with the larger tires? Stock with narrow wheels? I have stock steel 16s on mine. Does it matter if the tires rub each other since they will both spin together anyway? I am thinking about a softer front spring and shackle flip. Haven't decided 2 or 4" yet. I don't want it to go to high for a gooseneck.

The only issues I see with the duals is that I pay twice as much at the tolls and 33% more on tires. Still trying to convince the toll attendant that it is only one axle even if it has 4 wheels on it LOL.

19. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

They are real aluminum wheels, I need to get in there and polish them up. I bet they will come out real nice. And they are a 16 inch rim.

It wouldnt be a good idea to let the tires touch together, the heat and friction could destroy the tire. Also when you get a heavy load on your truck and the tires bulge they will be very tight against each other. I dont know how much space is required bewtween the tires, thats something I still need to research a bit. But I do know if you dont want a real skinny tire you can get spacers that move the tires apart a bit. Most people seem to run a 1/8" spacer or so on each side. I know they do make spacers that go up to a 4 inches apart, which in my opinion is bad a idea, especially if you plan on towing and hauling heavy loads.

20. 1-ton

I like that truck of yours. It has a lot of potential. Here is a picture of my mid-80's 4X4 Dually. It has a 1" body lift, with 255/85/16 tires (33" diameter).

[​IMG]