Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible Steering column problem....again..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Dec 5, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok where to start. Year before last I swapped out my column w/ my parts suburban column. The one in my truck had developed a problem of the wipers going when you put it in park, or if you moved the tilt, the wipers would go until you put the column back in the same place. Fast forward 2 years.

Couple days ago, I noticed my lack of backup lights. This column has always been a little funky w/ the backup lights, had to hold the shifter up, like, against P, to make em come on. Well that quit working. So today, I notice I have no intermittent wipers, and to make em park, I have to hold mist till they get to the bottom. If I release too early or too late, they are infront of my eyes:doah:

Does it sound like these 2 problems are related, and if so, what is it? The wiper motor has been changed for the one off the parts burban (original died), and the wiper delay module (the big finned shiny silver box under the column) was changed when I swapped columns.

This one doesnt have the ghetto tilt/wiper problem atleast, but its a pain when its just misting to have to fiddle w/ the stalk to make the wipers do what I want em to.

Sorry for the novel, anyone got any ideas of how/why the wipers & reverse lights are related? Thanks. Chris.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hahaha poor Chris, you cant keep that truck in operational condition. You better just give it to me... ;)

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha, shut up baber, its operational, just kind of annoying driving in the rain, idiots all around, one hand on the wheel, and one hand trying to park the dang wipers.

4. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Sounds similar to my problems which most people tell me is broken wiring within the column. Looks like I'm about to have to tear into the column and replace the wiper switch w/harness because its getting pretty annoying to me too.

-Wes

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

OMG! Sometimes I hate my truck. I read that last reply and got pissed cause I dont feel like takin the column apart. So I went out, cussed at it, punched the wiper motor, now they work perfectly.....Gah! Least now I know how to fix em.

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Had the exact same problem. The two problems are unrelated. The reverse light runs off the NSS on the column.

I had a problem with the wipers going at whatever speed they wanted. ANd they wouldnt park. No pulse or mist feature either.

I replaced the module, it was under that dash near the column. It has a large heat sync on it. That made the speeds and mist function work, but still wouldnt park corrrectly. I too had to hold down mist and release.

The parking problem happened to be the in motor itself.

So, after a new motor and module, everything works great.