Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible to break a FF14b?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 23, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok, before I get any wise guy "sure, you CAN break anything!" responses...let me qualify. I mean under relatively extreme 4x4 conditions. Rock climbing, mudding, trail driving etc etc...no trying to jump 50' off of big sand dunes or other silly crap, just good hard 'wheelin. That said, how tough is that ff14b? I never ever see trusses for them (or on them!)...nor do I ever read "have this axel? heres how to make it stronger!" articles in 4x4 mags...so whats the deal? Is it pretty much indestructible? Do you even need to get chrome-moly axels for it or is it strong as hell in stock configuration? If some stock parts are a problem, which ones are they? If you did break one, what part(s) would be the most likely to go? Down the road I'd love to get a cheap junk yard 14bolt from a van and get it under my '85 Jimmy...that would rock. =)

J

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I wont go into how indestructible they are (they pretty much are [​IMG] ) But I am pretty sure a 14 bolt from a van will NOT fit ... maybe someone else could clarify that ...

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Van axles require that you move the spring and shock mounts.
    I have never seen a 14 FF break.
    If you do break one you are truely amazing.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

14 bolts are bomb-proof in stock configuration. I'm sure they can break if the gear lube is never checked and gets too low.

Spontaneous axle breakage I've never seen, again I'm sure someone has done it but I'm sure its very rare.

Weak points seem to be wear and age issues. Quite a few 14 bolts end up needing speedi sleeves on the spindles because a groove gets worn from the seal and usually mud or dirt and then they leak...its on my list of thing that need doing.

Factory gov-locks in the 14 bolt suck...well all gov-locks suck.[​IMG]

Paulie, the van 14 bolt is actually a good candidate if you don't want wheel spacers later. They are the same width as the front ends under our trucks instead of a couple of inches narrower. Perch width and shock mounts would more than likely need changing but thats cake...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would say that your much more likly to break everything else in the driveline before you break a 14. Most of the time your drive shaft U-joints or drive shaft wil become the "Fuse". It's 600lb of love. That said it's still possible to break one given the right chain of events. Axle shafts take a lot of twisting and given enough cycles at a high enough load the can fracture but rarely will you see it happen.
    Most people feel a 14 ff is more compairable to the strenght of a Dana 70.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have never seen one broken but I have seen the axle shafts twisted 3/4 of a round on a mud bogger running a strong Big block with nitrous but the still did not break only twisted. Unless you run 44's and like to dump the clutch at 6000 then they are basically indestructable

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I once saw a Dana 80 with a lincoln locker break in a pulling truck while pulling the sled.

I'm pretty sure for your use the only way to break it is to drain the oil and beat it up real bad.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. tRustyK5

I guess that guy should used one your 10 bolts...then he wouldn't have broke a thing right? [​IMG]

Rene

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Thanks rene [​IMG]

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

No prob..."Cheap Shots 'R' Us" today [​IMG]

Rene

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I talked to a guy in our club who has a pickup (well, it actually has an S-10 Blazer body now) running 42" swampers and a healthy 454. He's broke pretty much everything else on the truck, including front Dana 60 stub shafts (now has 35 spline stubs) and several 208 transfer cases. The only things he has never broken are the 205 t-case and the 14 bolt rear. This guy likes to do 4 wheel burnouts on pavement every once in a while.........

12. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

The guy with the D80 definitly should have went 1/2 ton HaHaHaHa [​IMG]

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Damn it Rene, you beat me to it! :D

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've seen two 14FF's broken in my life - one was on a service truck that got ran over by a HaulPak 240E mine truck, the other was on a ambulance chassis - the left hand tube seperated from the carrier housing.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

14 bolts are usually bulletproof. If one does break 9 times out of 10 it will be the spiders, if it is open. I have seen 1 axle shaft break with 44 boggers and a built cad 500 though.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

16. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have a SBC 350 with a Doubler for a crawl ratio of 132:1. I have broke two axle shafts at the hub flange end and I was not "getting" on the throttle when it happened-just rocky trails. I've since ordered a set of axle shafts from Dutchman Motorsports and I've not had any problems for 6 years. My truck weighs 7500-that might have something to do with it-but I've seen other people break 14 bolt shafts on extreme trailsw/44" tires too

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

132:1?!?!? That is a SILLY crawl ratio! awesome!! =D

J

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There are a few over at my buddies place that are trashed. One got ripped apart in a pulling truck. I think a 750hp bigblock might have had something to do with that,[​IMG] Most of them though are tore up because of no gear lube in them.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys are taking this to an extreme. A pulling truck is far different than putting a truck in the mud. Pulling trucks have weight added for extra traction and huge motors (that one had a 530 cubic inch BBC in it ).

I didn't say 10 bolt fronts and D44s were the greatest thing ever, but they are quite strong (stronger than any Jeep or really quite a few other off road vehicles came with).

His stuff (Dana 60/Dana 80) came from an early '80s 1 ton Dodge.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles