Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible to knock dent out of door from inside?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Dec 1, 2002.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I went home for thanksgiving and on friday me and dad took the k5 out to the desert for some wheelin. Wheeled all day, had a great time, didn't put a mark in the truck.

Saterday night I take the girlfriend out for dinner and stuff. We get back and as she's getting out I lock the doors as always. Well she didn't shut it hard enough (never does) so she gives it a good wack from the hips. She got it shut, but put a dent about a foot across in it. I have no idea where the power to do that came from as she is pretty small??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyways...I was wondering if I rip all the stuff off the inside of the door will I be close enough to sheet metal to just push it out? I've never taken a door apart before. It's an 84 w/ power windows.

Please help..it is very embarrassing to tell people the huge dent in the door is from your girlfriends ass. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah...those dents come right out and rarely leave any 'scars' behind. Take the door panel off and see what you can see...most likely you'll be able to clearly see the reverse impression of the dent through one of the access holes in the door. Next step is to push it out with the palm of your hand, or if it's a bit stubborn a deflated basketball can be used. Insert ball and begin inflating til the dent pops out...deflate and remove. (credit where credit is due...the deflated ball idea is Grim Reapers)

Rene

3. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

If it is a smooth dent with no creaces (sp?) then you might be able to plunger it out, and if not then yeah you oughta be able to wack it out from teh inside, depending on where it is in the door you might be able to just rooll the window up and get to it with the door panel off. try just pushing on it with your hand. and if that wont do it use a 2x4 with a hammer and just hit it hard enough to get it out. we did this to my buddy-s 74 when i slid into it in the mud. oops. hehe well hope that helps!

Nathan

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

just use a plunger. s=tick it to it and get a suction then pull.

nathan

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Having done this many times to 3 different trucks first try your palm...pop the panel off, I even rotate the mirror on that door to the dent so I can see what I am doing, apply pressure and it should pop right out, a plunger will more than likely scar the paint if you have a nice paint job consider that, the 2x4 will leave 2x4 outward scars visible on the outside.....trust me, made that wistake before. Its very easy, give it a shot.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have used a plunger many times even on small dents. you can bearly see the dent just a ring where you put the plunger, which wipes away. just make sure its clean. you don't want a spot of "mud" that stinks. LOL

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

that deflated basket ball idea is pretty slick. I'll have to kick a dent in my door so i can try that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i've done the same thing to my drivers door. i just slammed the door getting in the truck and it popped out on its own. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Works good on rear quarters also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif