Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible to roll up a power window manually?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Jun 24, 2002.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

My driver's side window regulator has been making some ugly noises lately and this morning it decided to quit working with the window about half way up. (It still makes some buzzing noise, so I guess something's stripped out or busted.) Is there any way to put it up manually? - Kind of like the "drill to lower/raise the tailgate window" trick.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know of a way to do that for the doors. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Besides, by the time you get in far enough to figure it out, you've almost changed the motor. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Might as well go ahead and finish the job. A new motor only runs $45 or so at the parts store. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It contains the gears and such that do most of the work.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well since we are on the subject..i cant get the rear window in mine to work either..but need to find a way to at least get the window raised up so i can drive it and all..how do i do that?

Bryan-later

4. HarryH3

Remove the inner panel from the tailgate and take a look inside. There's a drive cable that runs from the motor to the regulator. It's like a very short speedometer cable. You can disconnect the motor end and chuck it up in a drill and crank the window up. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so turn the gears right in the moter or something you mean?..wiht a drill?

Bryan

6. OneInTheSun

Yeah Harry, I kind of figured on that being the case. My doors are rusted out and I already have the "new" ones I'll be putting on. I just don't have any free time until the weekend and I was hoping for a quick fix until then.
    So for a few days, my truck is certified 100 percent white trash - got the ol' Hefty trash bag and duct tape for a window. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. HarryH3

Chuck the end of the "speedo" cable that attaches to the window motor, to your drill. This will spin the cable, just like the motor would (if it were working). /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Once you're inside the tailgate it will be more obvious what you need to do.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is possible that you just have a wiring problem, in which case you could jump 12V right to the motor after you pull the door panel and the window would go up. You could also measure the voltage on the connector while you were in there so you would at least know where the problem is.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh ok i get you..yea i know every part of the tailgate now!! lol..ive been working on it ever since i got the blazer..all rihgt ill try that thanx

Bryan-later

10. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

I have had to do the drill thing for about 3 years on mine, but the motor is still good. Anyone ever replaced the switch? I just change the wires around on the tailgate. The switch makes it go up in the winter and down in the summer.

11. OneInTheSun

I'm pretty sure that it's not a wiring problem (but I will definitely check that).
    My windows have been slowing down over time and instead of wisely taking the time to clean/grease the tracks, I just push down/pull up to "help" the window along. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Over the weekend, it started making some ugly grinding noise and then finally just gave up. I can still hear a buzzing noise when I hit the switch, so I'm guessing that something busted.

12. HarryH3

The "slowing down" symptom usually means that the "speedo" cable needs to be replaced. The factory lube for that cable turns into sludge over the years, until the cable will barely spin. A new cable will cure it for another 10-15 years. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's possible that the motor mounts came loose and the gear is no longer engaging the teeth on the track. It could also be that you tore some teeth off one of the gears in the reduction unit.

You should note that you can not use the drill trick on the front doors since they have no "speedo cable". It is a direct gear drive.