Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible to wire headlights into a toggle switch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Feb 23, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I recently ripped out the dash and the only casualty was the headlight "pull-thingie" (i think that is its scientific name)

I want to get all the switches up out of the way...has anyone run this into a toggle switch? All i want is ON/OFF, i have no desire for parking lights, dimmer switches or courtesy lights.

any ideas, thoughts, or outright lies are apprecaited! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

did it on a 78 olds. it worked the toggle i had got a little hot cause it was metal nothing serious just warm . worked fine i d still fix it right if i could hope this helps

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I wired my street mostly legal Dune Buggy's headlights with two milspec toggles. One is lights on/off (SPST), the other is hi-lo(SPDT).

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't see why you couldn't do that pretty easily.
    What about the hi-beams? You wouldn't want to have low beams for street and hi beams for like pismo at night!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

You would need to use a relay. Most toggle switches aren't designed to handle the amperage of your light system. Use a toggle switch the turn a relay on and off to power your lights.

Mike

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't see why you couldn't do that pretty easily.
    What about the hi-beams? You wouldn't want to have low beams for street and hi beams for like pismo at night!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I'll just watch you fall off the face of the earth again /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Zakk,

You would need to use a relay. Most toggle switches aren't designed to handle the amperage of your light system. Use a toggle switch the turn a relay on and off to power your lights.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting. do you have a pic or a discription of how i could run this? (i'm an electrical idiot/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Zakk, good thing for you that I am close and can show you how to do this using relays. I have several relays wired to switches for various things on my rig.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

good thing for me indeed! thanks Scott!

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Radio Shack has 30 amp togle switches. Think that's enough for the head lts? I'm not sure what the power draw is. A relay would be better though.
    BTW, I'm running that 30 amp sw for my wipers and a seperate momentary for the squiters. Motor and sw were both bad and I used a newer motor and all the plugs were different so thats why I went the togle sw route.