Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible tranny issues on a dodge.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Oct 27, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a 1/2 ton 2wd dodge truck with an automatic tranny. Its about a 95 year model and has a V8 engine. The truck has about 200k on the motor. She just bought the truck about a month ago. The previous owner, who is a friend of her family, told her that they just had the tranny rebuilt. I did notice that there is a large tranny cooler on the front of it. She also told me that the truck sat for a while after the rebuild because they didnt need to drive it much.

The other day she was telling me that it was driving funny so I took it for a spin to see what she was talking about.

Sometimes, when you take off from a stop, when you give it throttle it will rev up a bit and then take off. On the highway the tranny seems to gear hunt quite a bit between drive and overdrive. I ran it between 65 and 70 the whole time.

Last night I was driving the truck home from the dancehall. I was running about 65 when all of the sudden I felt and heard a loud mechanical bang. I have no idea what it was. After the bang it still drove just fine.

Today I'm going to check the tranny fluid for her and smell it to see to if it smells burnt. I want to drop the pan and change the fluid but she has to get the OK from her dad. Hes the type that likes cars taken to a shop :rolleyes:.

Anything else to look at? Does this sound like the tranny or does it seem more like a rear end issue. Like maybe a chipped ring/pinion?

Thanks for the help.

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Nobody got any ideas?

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Thats the problem right there.

It sounds like the tranny to me. A chipped tooth in the ring and/or pinion would make a very very angry sound.