Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible Trans problem

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by shaffera, Dec 12, 2002.

1. shaffera

shaffera Newbie

I bought my 83 6.2 back in July and have had absolutely no problems with this truck, I love it. Recently when leaving work it felt like the transmission slipped then the truck made a noise(the noise was similar to the noise a starter makes when it doesn't engage and just spins).. I put it back in the parking lot and got a ride home. I checked the fluid and it was low. Put in 2 quarts, the level seems good now and the noise continued. It seems to be happening only when I let off the gas, when it upshifts everything works fine. The transmission is 700r-4. The previous owner said he had a new trans put in back in march. I have had no previous issues with slippage or any noise of this type. Please help..

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ask around and find a "good" transmission rebuild shop. Drive it there and have them evaluate it. Peoples experiences vary by a wide margin with this transmission and having it rebuilt. Mechanical noise from the transmission sounds like rebuild time. But it's possible that you have a problem with the flexplate or torque convertor.