Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible use for line locks, 14FF with discs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 6, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey y'all,
    I was flipping through a 4-wheeler mag last night and noticed that Toby Harrel's blazer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif had two line locks mounted on top of his 14FF. He's not running disc brakes, but I thought that would be a good solution for an e-brake. The line lock I was looking at is button activated so that you step on the pedal, push the button, release the pedal, and you are locked up. So, I'm guessing you could leave it like that until you get back in your rig an step on the pedal again to release it, or do you have to have juice running to it to keep it locked /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? I know they are supposed to be used for racing and not as an e-brake, but it would be great for short term braking. Anybody doing this, and do they continue to lock with the truck power off? Thanks.
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I, too, would like to know some info about this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hmmm, I was thinking about this, and I don't think it would work for my intended purposes. What I wanted to do was instead of hooking up the mechanical e-brake when I swap in 3/4 ton axles - I would consider getting a line lock. (In Wisconsin, you must have a functional e-brake on your vehicle) And, now that I think about it, I doubt that could be categorized as an e-brake. Say if your master cylinder or something else went out - you'd have no way of creating pressure for the line lock. So, it would work well as a parking brake - but not good for an e-brake. (also not good for an e-brake because either it's off, or on - tires would lock up or roll). So, I guess that's no longer an option for me.

3. steelsoldiers

Would a 44" Bogger with a chain hooked between it and your bumper classify as an e-brake. You could make a break-away tire carrier and have a lever beside your seat to release it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

E-brake: maybe
    But I think the cops would nail me as a danger to others! Just imagine a 44" bogger bouncing/dragging in front of the car behind you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

People have been using these as e-brake for a long time! Although they bleed off over a period of time so you couldn't use it to hold the rig over night....
    You could either go with a Mico-Lock or a cheapo from JEgs, summit or JC Whitney.........

6. steelsoldiers

Thanks Mike,
    Do you have to keep the power flowing to them to keep them locked like a solenoid?

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That I am not sure. I have never used one personally, but have seen people on the net and mags using them. I have checked into some, but never looked into it in that much detail.
    I know the Mico lock is around $250 though!

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Wheeled with bunch from S.Carolina at Tellico who used line locks on their Jeeps.They work well,will bleed off though.Said if left on to long solonoids would burn up.Have a friend with Lever locks that work good.Have to run line inside truck to use them.Just step on brake and flip lever,holds till released or like said will bleed off over couple of hours. He has one for each axle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

how much do these things generally cost? i wouldnt mind running brake lines into the cab so long as the things worked.

j

10. steelsoldiers

Heavy4x4, I just talked to the fellas at A-tron and they told me that they are working on a e-brake kit for their 14FF disc kit. It should be out in a month or so. It works in conjunction with the stock e-brake system /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That should get you to pass inspection easily and get a functional parking/e-brake to boot. It sounds a lot simpler that running line lock, especially if they bleed off over time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Check your local laws. I know in New York that you CAN NOT use them as a parking/emergency brake. That brake system MUST be a MECHAINCAL back up system. It cannot be combined with the regular brake system. I plan on using a mechanical e brake on the back of my 205 case. High angle has a kit. The Line lock selonoids are also NOT designed for long term power use. They will burn out. I have seen people use line locks on trail trucks to turn tighter. By locking one tire, It will make truck pivot tighter. I don't know why that guy had them on his truck though.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks....I'll look into it when the time comes /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As soon as they are ready we will let our fellow CK5 members know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif