Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possible vaccum leak?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Dec 2, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Not sure if it is normal or not, but I notice when I have my truck running, and then i shut it off, it almost sounds like a release valve was pulled on an air compressor, except not as loud, like a PFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffff (decending letters as it gets quieter:D )..As soon as i kill the motor, you can here the hissing.....any ideas? The vaccum lines were all recently replace, not sure where it could be coming from....

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's probably not a vacuum leak. All my trucks have a tendancy to let off what I call a "sigh" when I shut them off.

I think it has something to do with the vacuum-operated heater controls, but don't quote me on that.

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

it's a vacuum release from the resevoirs or vac. bottles or whatever their technical terms are...

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah mine does that too. Just as the other guys say, vac stuff for heaters etc.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I vote for a bad brake booster. Disconnect the vacuum hose and plug it then start the engine and let it run for a mintue then shut it off and i'll bet your noise is gone.

6. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

In fear of asking a stupid question, care to elaborate?

7. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

that's normal bro, you got like 20" of vacuum built up in your power brake booster and any other vacuum amplifiers that may be hiding under the dash, when you shut off the engine the vacuum source stops and the stored vacuum leaks off.....hissssssssssssss

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your brake booster is suppose to store vacuum and has a one way valve in the hose going to the booster so that once the vacuum source is turned off the vacuum that has been stored will remian in the booster. This is so you have about two pedals worth of assisted brakes with the engine off. If the diaphram has a tear in it or if the booster halves aren't sealing correctly then once you shut the engine off you'll hear the hiss from the vacuum escaping.