Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Possibly adding a line lock...any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schneggie, Aug 22, 2001.

1. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Was thinking about adding a Line lock to the brake system. I do not have an E-Brake at this time and really need to do something. Looking for any ideas and suggestions.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Mico-lock works good as a hydraulic line lock. You press the brake pedal and flip a switch to lock the pressure in the brake line. When you're ready to roll again, you flip the swtich off and press the brake pedal to release the solenoid. Just keep in mind that if you rip off a brake line while out wheeling, then you'll have no brakes. Having a mechanical backup system in case of hydraulic failure is a good idea. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am useing the Mico Lever-Lock www.geocities.com/baja/5099

4. cpqtim

cpqtim Registered Member

Greg,
    JC Whitney has a unit that is less trouble prone than the mico locks. I plumbed mine into the front brake line. Just ran a 3 foot section from the master cylinder to the dash, in the unit and 3 foot out to the original line from the master cylinder. Just apply pedal pressure and press the knob. To release step on the brake and it release. I put it on the front because the disks clamp better.
    Tim T.

5. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

I have disc all the way around. I will look into it, thanks. I don't have cable E-Brake because I'm afraid the cables will hinder the articulation in the rear. I know its not right but that is why I don't have them.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Putting the line-lock on the front also allows you to "powerbrake", whether it be to turn around the front axle as a pivot on the trail (except in "tread lightly" areas), or to produce a smoke show at the intersection of the bikini carwash [​IMG].

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

7. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

LMAO! [​IMG] Yeah leadfoot... I see where you got the name from [​IMG] ! Your rig definetly looks able to get some smoke on it's own though... no power brake needed [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>